Sign in to follow this  
godzilla

Bow ID Please (2 bows)

Greetings from a newb ... I recently acquired a 1968 Roth 4/4 in good shape but full of rosin. With it came 2 bows, a Lupot (also heavily rosined) and an unidentified one. I'd be very grateful1.thumb.JPG.380cb73d7e7d8a04385d10676fac0811.JPG if experienced bow aficionados would please weigh in.

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

I don’t think the bows are anything special, I’m afraid, but they might play ok if rehaired and straightened. I’m no expert but I think they are contemporary to the violin and also student level.

I’d be pleased to see photos of the violin...

PhilipKT, thank you for your reply! Yes, it makes sense that the bows would be contemporary. The violin is, I believe, a Del Gesu  IIR Guarneri 1734 by EHR. I'll post a pic or 2 in a bit. Again, it is full of rosin :)6.thumb.JPG.abd45421bb277cb887b3d44d619f931a.JPG7.thumb.JPG.51c984b73fec0f977811929154d69898.JPG

8.JPG

Edited by godzilla
Added photos per request

There is a post here at the beginning of the pegbox about advice on how to post effective photographs. You might want to look it over and then post some other photographs. What you shared looks like a solid instrument, congratulations. I hope it sounds good.

On ‎6‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 6:35 AM, PhilipKT said:

I don’t think the bows are anything special, I’m afraid, but they might play ok if rehaired and straightened. I’m no expert but I think they are contemporary to the violin and also student level.

We have a run of the mill Bubenreuth fiddle from the 60's, and two considerably older junk nickel mounted Markneukirchen bows which I wouldn't bother with.

21 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

There is a post here at the beginning of the pegbox about advice on how to post effective photographs. You might want to look it over and then post some other photographs. What you shared looks like a solid instrument, congratulations. I hope it sounds good.

Thank you PhilipKT, to my ear the violin sounds wonderful. I'm pleased to have it and look forward to caring for it.

Edited by godzilla

The violin (with bows)  clearly saw regular use in a youth orchestra, and while it needs a little loving cleaning, I'm happy with it. It is apparent to me that this 50+yo instrument waited for perhaps decades in a very good case, for which I'm thankful. For my purposes, it's perfect. I was curious about the bows because at least the Lupot one looks to me to be made with higher quality wood. I find it puzzling that one would hand-craft a bow but not leave a maker's mark.

13 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

We have a run of the mill Bubenreuth fiddle from the 60's, and two considerably older junk nickel mounted Markneukirchen bows which I wouldn't bother with.

Jake, one man's fiddle he wouldn't bother with, is another man's finely hand-crafted 50 year-old German instrument in excellent shape which sounds wonderful & rich.