Sign in to follow this  
not telling

Best loupe--need recommendations!

I'm looking for a high quality loupe with magnification around 4, 6, and up to 8x. Ideally multiple lenses can be deployed. 

The loupe needs to have a clip for eyeglasses or that, and another method to attatch the loupe.

I've been getting discouraged because there are obviously better quality lenses out there, but some cheaply manufactured products seem to be price inflated to confuse people like me. And of course there may be excellent items under $20. I'm sure there are. For obvious reasons, I'd prefer the best product at the cheapest price.

What do you all use? 

I have found THIS to be very useful. It's not the magnification you are looking for, but I thought I'd mention it. I can use them for long stretches of time without strain or discomfort. Are you looking for inspection magnification or working magnification?

3 hours ago, not telling said:

What do you all use? 

Mostly I just take off my glasses and make use of my natural myopia, but that doesn't work for everybody.

If I get tired holding the work up to my  nose and looking cross-eyed at it, I use surgical loupes, as detailed in this thread that is almost 9 years old now (!).  There may be some other alternatives in there that might work for you.

I got a cheap optivisor off Amazon but surprisingly it has good quality glass lenses.  

I use this for various things.  Which lenses you flip down determines the magnification

https://www.harborfreight.com/165x-jewelers-clip-on-eye-loupe-94364.html

Things like this are good when you really need depth perception.  These are fine, but the binocular device Don refers to probably wins the clarity prize.

https://www.harborfreight.com/magnifier-head-strap-with-lights-38896.html?_br_psugg_q=magnifier

A cheap way to get top clarity if monocular and hand-held is ok is to hold a microscope objective in your hand.  About a 10x one is good.

I'm still using the Optivisor headset I got 45 years ago (2X lenses replaced with with 5X ones).

Can't beat it with a stick, and inexpensive to boot.

Hi A432 - I must have got an Optivisor from the same batch - used them in the 70s for checkering gunstocks, working on instruments and whatever. The plastic of the frame has become a little brittle so its a maze of instant-glue repairs - but still going strong.

For violinmaking my optician came up trumps and fitted 3.5 or 5.0 lenses into an old frame that I had and added a RayBan clip-on frame. They are lighter than the Optivisor, easier to flip up or down and the focal length is more suited to our work.

cheers edi

DSC00633.thumb.JPG.df8fe7c0b74d4b534bf61d9d31a6fb63.JPG

10 hours ago, arglebargle said:

I have found THIS to be very useful. It's not the magnification you are looking for, but I thought I'd mention it. I can use them for long stretches of time without strain or discomfort. Are you looking for inspection magnification or working magnification?

I use these too.  I find that with the temples, they are a bit heavy.  Have not tried the strap but probably will this week.  Otherwise, I like the lens options and the light is a nifty addition, though I could live without it.  Price is hard to beat.  Like Harbor Freight tools.  When they fall apart, just throw them out and buy new.

10 hours ago, puckfandan said:

This option looks perfect, for many reasons. He will compare this and the surgeon's tool Don recommends. Thanks to everyone for all of the suggestions. 

The thing you want to consider is the focal length.  With single-lens type loupes, you need to be very close.  With the surgical loupes (like telescopes), you need to be pretty far away... probably inconveniently far away unless you have myopia (like me), and then it's pretty comfortable.

4 hours ago, not telling said:

This option looks perfect, for many reasons. He will compare this and the surgeon's tool Don recommends. Thanks to everyone for all of the suggestions. 

Note that the description recommends looking through only one eye at a time, because it's difficult to focus with both eyes. I presume this is because neither lense has an adjustable focus or focal distance correction.

Being able to view objects through only one of the two lenses at a time would be a deal breaker, for me, for a magnifier I wanted to use for more than a few minutes at a time.

So far, I'm still comfortable using really powerful reading glasses, which are cheap and readily available up to 6 diopters in power. (That's equivalent to about 2.5 times magnification).

The only thing so far that I would need more magnification for would be things like cleaning cracks, or finding previously-repaired damage which was done really well, and that's where an actual microscope comes in really handy.

5 hours ago, David Burgess said:

Note that the description recommends looking through only one eye at a time, because it's difficult to focus with both eyes. I presume this is because neither lense has an adjustable focus or focal distance correction.

Being able to view objects through only one of the two lenses at a time would be a deal breaker, for me, for a magnifier I wanted to use for more than a few minutes at a time.

So far, I'm still comfortable using really powerful reading glasses, which are cheap and readily available up to 6 diopters in power. (That's equivalent to about 2.5 times magnification).

The only thing so far that I would need more magnification for would be things like cleaning cracks, or finding previously-repaired damage which was done really well, and that's where an actual microscope comes in really handy.

Unfortunately, my husband has only one good eye, if we can call it good. So things like the Optivisor are out, for him. He will either modify the surgical loupe or use the watchmaker's one, which I also bought when I saw it. The surgical loupe is coming from WalMart so it should be simple to return if I have to. There are a lot of options. Was hoping to knowingly buy lenses of sufficient quality that the better eye doesn't get worse, ah well, I guess he will just try several options and use what he can.

28 minutes ago, not telling said:

Unfortunately, my husband has only one good eye, if we can call it good.

Having one good anything is a lot more flattering than most wives are willing to say about their husbands. ;)

55 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

Having one good anything is a lot more flattering than most wives are willing to say about their husbands. ;)

Really? I imagine if one acceptably functioning eye were all I could come up with as far as his good qualities, we would be in trouble. Maybe I shouldn't have said it. I will add, he has plenty of good qualities, many more than me probably. Bet on that. I'm obviously terrible. But my bad eye is 20/20. Doesn't really seem fair. 

On 6/16/2019 at 7:18 AM, David Burgess said:

David and Julian, What do you think about one of us (Me?) getting that Loupe direct company to send samples for us to check out at Oberlin this summer?  They have a free trial  they send you, albeit with plano lenses.  If you like them, you send them back and they custom make what you want with your rx and  specifications (I  would imagine focal length etc).  Do you guys  think folks would want to check them out?   

Fwiw, an under $10 2-lens tool called "loopy loupe" is his favorite one out of several I ordered. It clips to his glasses and he gets instant almost weightless adjustability with magnification for his eye, exactly where needed. For anyone else working with one strong eye, this might be your best solution too.

On 6/16/2019 at 12:14 PM, not telling said:

Really? I imagine if one acceptably functioning eye were all I could come up with as far as his good qualities, we would be in trouble. Maybe I shouldn't have said it. I will add, he has plenty of good qualities, many more than me probably. Bet on that. I'm obviously terrible. But my bad eye is 20/20. Doesn't really seem fair. 

"Fair's got nothin to do with it " ( Clint Eastwood-the Unforgiven")

I have an enormous amount of vision aides. Starts with weak bifocal reader, then strong bifocals (+3.5). 

The problems with reading glasses as mentioned above is the focal point can be a little too close if you want strong magnification.

For this case I use dentist loupes. The problem I found was that the focal length is a little far for my taste, but I solved that by taping reading lenses in front of the dental loupes to adjust focal length from 450mm to maybe 250mm.

On 6/17/2019 at 11:51 AM, Jeff White said:

David and Julian, What do you think about one of us (Me?) getting that Loupe direct company to send samples for us to check out at Oberlin this summer?  They have a free trial  they send you, albeit with plano lenses.  If you like them, you send them back and they custom make what you want with your rx and  specifications (I  would imagine focal length etc).  Do you guys  think folks would want to check them out?   

Jeff, that would be great! By a plano lens, I hope you mean that it has no prescription, rather than no magnification. Maybe include their cheapest model, so we can get a sense of how much we'd be giving up by saving some money?

If this can happen fast enough, maybe they could be shipped directly to Julian at Oberlin? (He's there right now, and that group might be interested too).

8 hours ago, CSchabbon said:

I have an enormous amount of vision aides. Starts with weak bifocal reader, then strong bifocals (+3.5). 

The problems with reading glasses as mentioned above is the focal point can be a little too close if you want strong magnification.

For this case I use dentist loupes. The problem I found was that the focal length is a little far for my taste, but I solved that by taping reading lenses in front of the dental loupes to adjust focal length from 450mm to maybe 250mm.

Christian, that's quite a contraption!  Very clever though, and maybe a way to avoid the extra cost of ordering custom focal lengths.