Sign in to follow this  
Byrdbop

In the name of learning...

What clearly indicates that this very surprisingly good crummy pile of wood is not a fine Italian fiddle that's had a very full life?   Length of back 357mm.  Front is one piece.  It is lined and has wood covering the corners. No label.  I love its knotty back and neck. Don't ask me to remove the top.  

IMG_20190614_184823.jpg

IMG_20190608_164516.jpg

IMG_20190614_185731.jpg

IMG_20190614_185144.jpg

IMG_20190610_181901.jpg

IMG_20190609_151104.jpg

IMG_20190608_164452.jpg

IMG_20190608_164253.jpg

IMG_20190614_185934.jpg

IMG_20190614_184931.jpg

IMG_20190614_193120.jpg

IMG_20190614_193144.jpg

Seems to be Mirecourt late 19th century. What I would call a mostly well preserved instrument with character and always worth a good service.

Also I would recommend to buy this for 150 from Ebay, in opposite to "sadly destroyed not well maintained, stripped and revarnished, in need of many repairs but nonetheless cute and enjoyable heaps of glued together woods", vulgo called junk fiddle (oops, I did it again:wacko:).

9 minutes ago, Blank face said:

Seems to be Mirecourt late 19th century. What I would call a mostly well preserved instrument with character and always worth a good service.

Also I would recommend to buy this for 150 from Ebay, in opposite to "sadly destroyed not well maintained, stripped and revarnished, in need of many repairs but nonetheless cute and enjoyable heaps of glued together woods", vulgo called junk fiddle (oops, I did it again:wacko:).

I'm not quite understanding you but I will add that I paid £35 for it.  What indicates Mirecourt?  

6 minutes ago, Byrdbop said:

I'm not quite understanding you but I will add that I paid £35 for it.  What indicates Mirecourt?  

Just thought of another thread. Somebody was proud of buying what I described for these 150$, but it was regarded as rude to call it what it was. So you did an endlessly better job to buy this for 35;).

I'm assuming Mirecourt because of the short rib corners, the flat eyed scroll with short throat and in the main the one piece belly plate. Also the varnish seems to be typical IMO.

2 minutes ago, Blank face said:

Just thought of another thread. Somebody was proud of buying what I described for these 150$, but it was regarded as rude to call it what it was. So you did an endlessly better job to buy this for 35;).

I'm assuming Mirecourt because of the short rib corners, the flat eyed scroll with short throat and in the main the one piece belly plate. Also the varnish seems to be typical IMO.

OK thanks.  I had got as far as considering the flat eye as a possible indicator of Mirecourt myself.  I will add the other aspects to my reference bank.