germain

How is mirror like shine on the neck achieved?

I have a few violins set up by Hans J. Nebel. Whenever he fits a new fingerboard he makes the neck and the sides of the fingerboard completely shiny. Almost like a clear coat of varnish is applied by I don’t think this is how he achieves this. Any ideas? I really like the “two tone” effect between the shiny sides and regular look on the playing surface of the fingerboard. I hope the pictures are clear enough. 

BB2747C9-975B-43A4-8A02-B1B5F038C346.jpeg

A2AC53DE-58AE-4D88-9C55-7509764DE19E.jpeg

4FBE0117-81A1-4444-869B-C649A20DDA8A.jpeg

1 hour ago, FiddleDoug said:

l'm sitting with him right now at MCLA. He uses a combination of materials, that include shellac, and elbow grease

I really want to do one of his workshops. Must be awesome. Enjoy 

I took classes with Hans for many years.  After staining and sanding with progressively finer abrasives, he applies a very thin coat of orange shellac, using the French polish method, to the neck and the fingerboard edges.

46 minutes ago, Melvin Goldsmith said:

You don't want a mirror shine on the neck...It sucks onto the skin and hinders shifting. You want a porous oil finish 

I'm with Melvin, I don't like varnished necks. 

Although Stradivari probably did it, nobody's perfect....:lol:

4 minutes ago, Davide Sora said:

Although Stradivari probably did it, nobody's perfect....:lol:

*gasp*

You're in danger of invoking a plague of bow beetles for even just joking about such things!!!

" I really want to do one of his workshops. Must be awesome. Enjoy  "

I've been taking workshops with him since 2006. It really is awesome. A wealth of knowledge and experience. Already home at this response.Too late to ask about the Maggini.

" You don't want a mirror shine on the neck...It sucks onto the skin and hinders shifting. You want a porous oil finish  "

He's been doing it for more than 60 years. His are like glass, don't stick, and don't absorb hand oils and dirt like a porous oil finish will. I expect that if his clients, who are some of the finest players out there, playing on some of the finest instruments, weren't happy with it, he would have changed his methods.

" I don't like varnished necks.  "

They aren't varnished. The shellac only seals the pores. - No build up. The rest of the shine is from the the hand rubbing/burnishing/polishing

7 hours ago, FiddleDoug said:

I've been taking workshops with him since 2006. It really is awesome. A wealth of knowledge and experience. Already home at this response.Too late to ask about the Maggini.

" You don't want a mirror shine on the neck...It sucks onto the skin and hinders shifting. You want a porous oil finish  "

He's been doing it for more than 60 years. His are like glass, don't stick, and don't absorb hand oils and dirt like a porous oil finish will. I expect that if his clients, who are some of the finest players out there, playing on some of the finest instruments, weren't happy with it, he would have changed his methods.

They aren't varnished. The shellac only seals the pores. - No build up. The rest of the shine is from the the hand rubbing/burnishing/polishing

Exactly. Very hard to explain so I gave up. Thanks for this. Nobody does it like Hans. Pretty  amazing 

11 hours ago, FiddleDoug said:

Looks like he does great nuts too