Sign in to follow this  
A432

The Bows They Played

I'm a little surprised by entire string quartets playing on bows by identical makers. I guess there's some kind of quid pro quo there, but I'd feel uncomfortable about that. The Alexander String Quartet playing CF bows, all four of them? (Maybe they're just saying they play these bows.)

With soloists F.X. Tourte is the clear winner, it seems.

Hey Gennady, this list is neat!  You could add Ludwig Spohr as a Tourte owner. He mentions his bows in his memoires. Also for Isaac Stern, one of his favourite bows was an Henry that got broken in a recital, but that he continued to use after it was repaired.

Very interesting to see the number of Tubbs bows sneaking into this list ...

Iona Brown used an FX Tourte throughout her career. 

We have recently sold Persoit bows to two people who merit an appearance on this list, and it seems to me that Persoit is the hot name right now

4 hours ago, martin swan said:

Very interesting to see the number of Tubbs bows sneaking into this list ...

Iona Brown used an FX Tourte throughout her career. 

We have recently sold Persoit bows to two people who merit an appearance on this list, and it seems to me that Persoit is the hot name right now

Paul Childs said that Persoit and D Peccatte were his favorite makers.

So Truls Mork plays a “Vuiluame”?

given that so many great Bowmakers worked for Vuilluame, does this name merely means that the writer doesn’t know more, or did Vuilluame himself actually make the occasional bow?

The Alexander Quartet has been an endorser of Arcus carbon fiber bows for many years. I had the opportunity to see/hear them perform about two years ago, and sitting about fifteen feet away, I could clearly see that they were all using Arcus bows without exception.

3 hours ago, Bill Merkel said:

You know how to tell which of the two is oldest, without looking them up?

Seattle Symphony 1903, Seattle Phil 1944.

I see that this list was last updated in 2011, but anyway - it is worth noting that David Oistrakh, Gregor Piatigorsky, and Lillian Fuchs also owned very fine Dodd bows (I think the ex-Fuchs Dodd bow showed up in a Tarisio auction a few years ago); Josef Gingold had at least a few Bazin family bows, and Sidney Harth apparently commissioned two Tourte copies from Henryk Kaston, which are now owned by an ex-student of his. In addition, Robert deMaine, Clive Greensmith, and Gil Shaham are all using Tourte bows these days, and Augustin Hadelich is using a Pierre Simon with a grafted head.