germain

Have not done on of my violin ID quizzes in a while...

Fire away your comments and guesses...it is the best sounding instrument I have ever played/ owned.  As you know I play pretty much every lot on the NY auction scene... The amazing sound is due to the wonderful work and restoration of a NY maker. The instrument has a certificate so the origin and restorer will be revealed at the end of this discussion thread. Jeffrey Holmes was the winner of my last quiz. Let the games begin...

IMG_1631.JPG

IMG_1620.JPG

IMG_1637.JPG

IMG_1638.JPG

IMG_1639.JPG

IMG_1623.JPG

IMG_1633.jpg

IMG_1627.JPG

IMG_1635.JPG

5 hours ago, germain said:

It is the best sounding instrument I have ever played/ owned. The amazing sound is due to the wonderful work and restoration of a NY maker.

No credit to the actual maker(s) of the violin for the amazing sound?
Looks like the whoever did the bushings had no varnish to complete the job, an odd thing to do.

I don't understand the heavy wear and blackening on the R side of the tailpiece, front, back and inside the C. Who holds a violin that way? The wear to the L of the tailpiece also suggests he/she had a huge greasy chin.

1 hour ago, matesic said:

I don't understand the heavy wear and blackening on the R side of the tailpiece, front, back and inside the C. Who holds a violin that way? The wear to the L of the tailpiece also suggests he/she had a huge greasy chin.

This kind of wear might happen while holding it there during the breaks of long orchestra rehearsals with not especially clean fingers.-_- Fakers do know that. Maybe they inserted something like a N. or N.F. Vuillaume label.

9 hours ago, hendrik said:

French.........I think.

Mid 19th century?

What do the bee stings look like?

French - yes 

Mid 19th century - yes 

someone with very greasy chin played it - yes

8 minutes ago, germain said:

French - yes 

Mid 19th century - yes 

someone with very greasy chin played it - yes

Or more likely it was antiqued that way when it came out of the workshop.

The back could be Honore Derazey, but the scroll is not quite right unless he was copying someone else.

Maybe a bit of Francois Caussin in the front.

Super-blunt rib corners plus no pins on the back suggests external mould.  That as well as the wear pattern on the back makes me think French.  But that might be too easy.   How about French-trained,  maybe somewhere like Turin or someone like Pressenda?  That could be consistent with age (I would think not much earlier than mid 1800s).

IMG_1639.JPG.fe8c46f002787f16086a86e165f48b9a.jpg

If you were aware of who played it, that implies it was probably owned by a famous player, which means it itself is a reasonably well known violin.

Either that, or everybody back then had a greasy chin.

10 minutes ago, GeorgeH said:

George Gemunder

You're just saying that because you like the name! :P

1 minute ago, Rue said:

Although I do like the name, Gemunder was trained and worked in France before coming to New York. Although the OP's pictures are not ideal, that violin looks like it could be one of his.

1 hour ago, duane88 said:

I am leaning toward someone in the Gand/Bernadel circle but can't quite place it. 

I'm with you Duane.  The outline hit me (first impression) as possibly Gand pere around 1830-ish, but that fiddle has seen some serious use (wear), so I'm not feeling like I'm on solid ground.  Could be younger than it appears and/or have something have something to do with the Bernardels.

52 minutes ago, GeorgeH said:

George Gemunder

41 minutes ago, Rue said:

Even without his Umlaut?