Sign in to follow this  
Larry Furse

Interesting viola on ebay

Was just browsing on ebay and came across this interesting and somewhat strange German guitar shaped viola:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/OLD-RARE-GERMAN-VIOLA-Ch-KROGH-1929-VIDEO-BRATSCHE-VIOLIN-301/323814443303?hash=item4b64d84927:g:GXIAAOxy69JS~lnF

I wonder if anyone else noticed this.  Not a recommendation to buy (a violin by this person sold at auction for $354 in 2000), but those f-holes are rather unique and purfled around the edges, also the initials of the maker purfled  in the back under the button.

I would say Saxon/Schonbach. They sometimes produced whimsical and/or pseudo-historical models. This seller seems to specialize in such things and also has a lot of the "Gusetto" fiddles. They can be cool but usually can be had at much lower prices.

The Tarisio examples are 19th century instruments from the Chanot tradition and of a much better workmanship, so in no way comparable to that odd Ebay artefact.

9 hours ago, Blank face said:

The Tarisio examples are 19th century instruments from the Chanot tradition and of a much better workmanship, so in no way comparable to that odd Ebay artefact.

I vaguely remember reading about them in Edward Heron-Allen (or somewhere), the concept seems sensible., at least the Chanot model.  I wonder if anyone has played one here and if they sound exactly like a traditional viola model.  Seems like a good idea for violas . . .

21 hours ago, Larry Furse said:

It caught my eye because there are two similar instruments at the T2 auction, one a viola and one a violin,

https://t2-auctions.com/auctions/lot/?csid=2199076864&cpid=3508256768&filter_key=

https://t2-auctions.com/auctions/lot/?csid=2199076864&cpid=3508191232&filter_key=

and they are getting quite a few bids.

Unfortunately the viola has a post crack, which I suspect will be an interesting repair for someone

On 6/12/2019 at 8:49 PM, deans said:

I would say Saxon/Schonbach. They sometimes produced whimsical and/or pseudo-historical models. This seller seems to specialize in such things and also has a lot of the "Gusetto" fiddles. They can be cool but usually can be had at much lower prices.

You are right, I took a look at  this person's other items and there is quite a selection there.  

51 minutes ago, Televet said:

Unfortunately the viola has a post crack, which I suspect will be an interesting repair for someone

You have good eyes.  I still couldn't see it in the full sized picture.  Of course I'm not looking to buy.  

18 hours ago, Larry Furse said:

I vaguely remember reading about them in Edward Heron-Allen (or somewhere), the concept seems sensible., at least the Chanot model.  I wonder if anyone has played one here and if they sound exactly like a traditional viola model.  Seems like a good idea for violas . . .

We discussed this models at several occasions, for example here https://maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/339335-a-200-year-old-cornerless-cello-signed-by-chanot/&tab=comments#comment-782195