Sign in to follow this  
reg

Goldbrokat e (loop) too small?

Hullo could I have some comment on this please! Not sure how to answer her?

Linda has returned 6 Goldbrokat E full size Violin strings

She wrote:

'...the peg end protective soft part of the string is so short that I would have wound bare string around the peg. This would result in scoring my peg and causing damage

The yellow wind-on length is 65mm. They are of course cheap strings and presumably being used on a student violin

Seems she doesn't understand all E strings are like this, only the G, D, & A strings will have the silking between peg and nut. Look at any violins in your shop and you will see this is the case.

The string is cheap but isn't only used on cheap violins ("The value of something to you is not related to its price").  And what nut cares if a peg is "scored". What is intersecting here...

Thanks Bill

I did wonder, as she returned 6 of them bought in January! 

Surplus to requirements perhaps?

37 minutes ago, Nick Allen said:

Her pegs are cheap junk soft wood if she's worried about this. 

How do we know that?

A recent study has found a high likelihood that human civilisation will end by 2050.

Boris Johnson is on the verge of becoming our next prime minister, with his strings pulled by the far right.

It hardly seems worth worrying about Linda's few quid's worth of E strings.

On 6/12/2019 at 4:57 AM, reg said:

They are of course cheap strings and presumably being used on a student violin

I couldn't disagree more. In the case of Goldbrokat cheaper does not mean lower quality. Many of my clients prefer Goldbrokat to most other 'better' strings

4 hours ago, Rue said:

How do we know that?

The only pegs that I have witnessed that really give to an e string are the spongy "ebony" and "boxwood" bargain pegs. A nice solid tight grained peg should only show minimal damage from a tight e. Some of the crap that I've  bought and used looked like the string was about to slice through it like a cheese wire. 

But you're right. I guess we can't know that lol. 

Okay! Just checking!

So much still goes way over my head. Don't want to miss too much! ^_^

10 hours ago, Bill Merkel said:

The string is cheap but isn't only used on cheap violins ("The value of something to you is not related to its price").  And what nut cares if a peg is "scored". What is intersecting here...

6 hours ago, Nick Allen said:

Her pegs are cheap junk soft wood if she's worried about this. 

Or she might be seriously OCD. ;)

2 hours ago, Barry J. Griffiths said:

I couldn't disagree more. In the case of Goldbrokat cheaper does not mean lower quality. Many of my clients prefer Goldbrokat to most other 'better' strings

35 minutes ago, Nick Allen said:

The only pegs that I have witnessed that really give to an e string are the spongy "ebony" and "boxwood" bargain pegs. A nice solid tight grained peg should only show minimal damage from a tight e. Some of the crap that I've  bought and used looked like the string was about to slice through it like a cheese wire. 

But you're right. I guess we can't know that lol.

I agree with all of the above, except that even high-quality pegs made of some woods can exhibit e string impressions. Nothing to get exited about, in my opinion.

Reg, tell your customer to take a hike. :lol: Not worth the grief.

(I wouldn't actually do that myself, but would try to educate the customer instead.)

Yes, I acknowledge that spending 50 bucks of time is a lot, to support the sale of 6 bucks worth of strings. Hopefully, it will come back to you in one form or another. :)

BTW - I currently have Dominants on my violin. I looked, and the winding is plenty long...no bare wire on the peg. Is only a Goldbrokat E issue then?