Sign in to follow this  
fiddlerjer

f-hole cross marks -- do they need to be centered on length?

My understanding is that the crosses of the f-holes should line up with the bridge. Are the f-holes supposed to be the same length above as below the bridge? Are they normally? In the course of setting up my template I'm getting the impression that it would be a good look to extend the ends nearer the chin by like 1/4". Is this ever done?

image.png.483eb9cadb29c1a34852b6e7ff073b12.png

I mean I guess I could extend the tops of the f's as well, that would keep them centered on the bridge. I think what I'm reacting to is just that the f's look too short. 

The location of the F holes is quite well established. Your picture does not include the overhang of the top plate and the thickness of the ribs. When they are in place the F holes will look different. The Guarnari F holes seem to be longer even though the round holes are in normal place. What pattern are you following? Stradivari or Guarnari? If you deviate from the accepted/proven location for your F holes everyone will notice it. There is plenty of play in the F holes without doing what you are thinking about. When looked at the F holes from above the top are they parallel to each other or do they grow closer as the upper holes are approached. Also, when viewed from the side of the instrument is each F hole opening parallel to the top plate or does it  go down towards the plate edge as the top hole is approached. Lot to think about here and adjust and still have the general correct location located as you have described. 

20 hours ago, Greg Sigworth said:

Above my pay grade. You may want to look at a Strad or Guarnari F hole pattern to see how it looks. I have some Strobel material but nothing having an F hole pattern. 

Aha, I see in the text that Strobel refers to the patterns as a "classical Stradivari model".