Sign in to follow this  
Jerry Pasewicz

One of our colleagues forwarded this to me.

23 minutes ago, Jim Bress said:

Thanks Jerry. Not too far from me. I might go just to see the place. 

Jim

If you do, please be on the look out for old photos that used to reside in the elevator shaft.  In particular, I seem to remember one where a young apprentice was dressed as Ed Campbell and another was dressed as Mary.....Halloween 1983..... it could be very valuable in the right hands.:ph34r:

Anyway, back to the topic. Chimneys is closing? Must have been there quite a while.

I still remember their long time running ads in the Strad magazine in the 80s. 

Well it's a little sad to see all that go.  I used to visit that shop with my girl friend (now wife) many years ago and get advice on violin making.  Ed used to sharpen my tools for me before I got the equipment for doing that! 

Ed

This was the first violin shop I ever visited, looking for a viola.  He could be a prickly guy to the locals. Eventually I got on his good side (he had a lot of sides). Never bought an instrument there, but I later picked up a violin at auction, just for nostalgia, very similar to the one my teacher owned, which I believe was a gold medal winner. His prices did not hold well after his death.

15 minutes ago, Jerry Lynn said:

At that shop that would probably include scintillating titles like "Handle Bar Mustache Quarterly," and catalogs full of bolo ties. 

Add the cowboy hat and boots (along with the bolo tie) and you'd have the typical retiree here.  That was formal wear for  Clif Alsop, one of our local retiree/violin making hobbyists.  He hung out with Dr. Homer Clark, who come to think of it also was quite fond of cowboy boots, and drove a white Ford F-150 pickup truck for many years, until he could no longer drive.

18 minutes ago, Larry F said:

Add the cowboy hat and boots (along with the bolo tie) and you'd have the typical retiree here.  That was formal wear for  Clif Alsop, one of our local retiree/violin making hobbyists.  He hung out with Dr. Homer Clark, who come to think of it also was quite fond of cowboy boots, and drove a white Ford F-150 pickup truck for many years, until he could no longer drive.

I remember Homer, he used to visit my guitar shop every now and then. Always fun to see.

26 minutes ago, MeyerFittings said:

I remember Homer, he used to visit my guitar shop every now and then. Always fun to see.

Yes, I agree, he was great fun , I really miss him and all the good times we had together.  He was a friend and mentor,  I learned a lot about life from him.  One of the advantages of being a violin maker is you meet the most interesting people.

1 hour ago, MeyerFittings said:

Same here. I still have a print thumbtacked to my office wall that he gave me. He also gave me another print of a painting he had done himself. I think it was titled "The Breast Quartet", and featured players who had apparently forgotten to put their tops on. :o

10 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

... I think it was titled "The Breast Quartet", and featured players who had apparently forgotten to put their tops on. :o

Like Gravitation or like Well-Strung?

So where did all the posts go?  My fault.  I'd have clipped the politics out of this thread soon after it started, but was traveling this weekend.