Sign in to follow this  
PhilipKT

Query re: interesting/unusual piano rep

Hi folks!

I am a cellist, and I don’t know very much about the piano repertoire except the basics. I have a colleague who also only does the basics, and she recently started teaching. Her students are all very young, and in the extreme juvenile repertoire, but I am very interested in helping her find worthwhile piano music by worthwhile composers that is accessible to younger players and still valid Music. She knows Bach but doesn’t teach him, and her own repertoire is the standard romantic stuff. Her teaching rep-for the older kids- is easy Mozart and Clementi( not even any Haydn, tsk tsk)I suggested that she look up Dvorak and Mendelssohn, and possibly Elgar.

But I know so little about the piano repertoire that I’m actually a little lost.

can you folks offer some suggestions?

Royal Conservatory of Music.

The RCM has a great, graded, rep. (for many instruments).

My daughter completed Grade 10 piano, so I'm very familiar with the program.  I'm also loosely working through the RCM violin rep.

You can look the syllabus up on-line - see if the material meets the needs.

Just now, Rue said:

My daughter completed Grade 10 piano, so I'm very familiar with the program.  I'm also loosely working through the RCM violin rep.

You can look it up on-line - see if the material meets the needs.

Ok, I will. The problem with systems like that is because somebody who is not you is choosing what you are going to play. I think it’s much better to look for good music to play. If “the powers” ignore a fine composer, or even a mediocre composer who wrote some fine music,  people who use that system will never discover any music outside of it. Does it have any John Field?

I just finished my student recital for the year, and it included pieces by Chapuis, De Fesch, Godard, Castelnuovo-Tedesco, Palestrina, and Goltermann. The Castelnuovo-Tedesco was printed in 1936 and almost immediately taken out of print because Mussolini became pals with Hitler, and none of the others has been played in 100 years or so. The Goltermann was printed in 1894, and I found an original piano part. Very charming and completely unknown.

I will certainly tell my colleague about the RCM and it will benefit her, but there’s much to be said for the solo search.

14 minutes ago, Rue said:

I must be dense, I am at the website and I am looking for their list of music, and I’m not finding it. I’m very interested in what the cello rep includes. Help?

Well - no one ever said you can't supplement a program with different or added material.  It's not like there's an RCM enforcer that sneaks into your house at midnight and detunes your piano if you stray...

You can look up the cello syllabus...I use some of the easy cello material it for bassoon.

...I can't seem to copy to the pdf...you'll have to link directly I think...

Just Google  "RCM piano syllabus".

You can ignore all the program info, and just look at the listed pieces...

4 minutes ago, Rue said:

Well - no one ever said you can't supplement a program with different or added material.  It's not like there's an RCM enforcer that sneaks into your house at midnight and detunes your piano if you stay...

Just look up the cello syllabus...I use some of the easy cello material it for bassoon too...

Didn’t find anything

26 minutes ago, Rue said:

This is the result of my cello syllabus search

749262C1-CDB0-49BE-8C45-786D3ADD6784.png

30 minutes ago, Guglielmus Carinius said:

Also highly recommended: the Enfantines by Erik Satie.

Thank you very much for all your recommendations, I was actually thinking about Bartok, because of his work with Kodaly, And I will certainly pass on your recommendations. Thank you very much. And thank you Rue, You are perpetually kind and I appreciate that.

1 hour ago, gowan said:

Lyric Pieces by Gillock

I actually played some Gillock in my younger days. Is this more advanced than the juvenile stuff I remember?

57 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

I actually played some Gillock in my younger days. Is this more advanced than the juvenile stuff I remember?

My wife, who is a piano teacher, uses these pieces with some of her pre-teen students, though they are somewhat advanced than most of her students that age.