Julian Cossmann Cooke

Clamping the top to a rib garland with blocks at...

46 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

The fingerboard appearing to be solid ebony raises some questions about that, doesn't it?

no, it´s not, ebony veneered with ebony side.

24 minutes ago, christian bayon said:

no, it´s not, ebony veneered with ebony side.

1 hour ago, David Burgess said:

Either solid ebony, or ebony veneered on all visible surfaces would raise some questions about originality,  wouldn't it?

I don't see how side ebony veneer would cause you to think it's less likely original. It's very little material, and if you have enough to do the top, you have enough scrap to do the sides in my experience. 

4 minutes ago, JacksonMaberry said:

I don't see how side ebony veneer would cause you to think it's less likely original. It's very little material, and if you have enough to do the top, you have enough scrap to do the sides in my experience. 

Which 15th, 16th, or 17th Cremonese fiddle fingerboards originally had ebony on every visible surface?

Sure, it's gotten very difficult to distinguish between original, and replacement parts.

3 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

Which 15th, 16th, or 17th Cremonese fiddle fingerboards originally had ebony on every visible surface?

Sure, it's gotten very difficult to distinguish between original, and replacement parts.

No idea. All I'm saying is that for a fiddle of that vintage, it's not outside the realm of possibility. I'll defer to your experience, gladly. 

26 minutes ago, JacksonMaberry said:

No idea. All I'm saying is that for a fiddle of that vintage, it's not outside the realm of possibility. I'll defer to your experience, gladly. 

Since there seem to be so few photographs and sound files remaining from the 17th century ;), I don't see how any of us can do better than taking our best guesses.

29 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

Since there seem to be so few photographs and sound files remaining from the 17th century ;), I don't see how any of us can do better than taking our best guesses.

Truer words have never spoken. Er, typed

To the original post, I found a good way to reproduce the uneven block and rib heights.  A piece of lining stock set under the side ready for final sanding down creates a tilt, shallow or steep depending on where the strip is placed.

20190612_101326b.jpg

16 hours ago, David Burgess said:

This violin have been sold by Stainer  to a convent near Munich. In the XIX century, Hamma bought it from the convent  and consider "the wearing of the finger board is consistent with the wearing of the violin"