Sign in to follow this  
fiddlerjer

laying out the template

4 minutes ago, Larry Furse said:

Many ways to skin this cat.   Templates are great for an instrument you want to copy exactly many times.  I do recall seeing a template in the Hill book from Strad's things but we know he used little corner templates with his mould.  Beginners often accidentally make their templates a little too big for various reasons and end up with monster fiddles.  It's a good idea to check all the measurements of the new template and mould against the measurements we have for Stradivari's moulds, then you know if the mould matches Strad's, when making a Strad of course, it won't come out as a baby viola.  Late period Guarneri's are very close to the Strad PG so the same general measurements can be applied.  The PG Mould:  344.4 - 161-102- 200.  I welcome the experts correct me if I'm wrong on this . . .  There is a useful chart of all of Strads moulds you can find on the internet with a Google search.

Absolutely, Larry! About a billion and one ways to fillet this feline, so far as I can tell. 

To the Topic Creator: for making a form, some good options would be to check out the pinned topic that leads to Addie's drawings of the Strad (and other) forms, as well as getting acquainted with drawing forms with Kevin Kelly's four circles technique. Francois Denis lays out another method in his traite de luthiery, which is used by Harry Mairson's Digital Amati program. 

I went ahead and cut the template out with tin snips, and then filed it down. Here's what it looks like traced onto plywood...

funny, I try editing it and can't remove the second copy of the image.

image.png

image.png