Brass tail button w/ A 440 pitch pipe integrated

steve bufter

• 1 year later...

Are the tuner end buttons worth anything? I recently bought 2 vintage violins and I am in the process of refurbishing them because they are in rough shape. I have replacement pieces for both but I am wondering if I should keep the original tuner end button with it, or should I replace it with a new one without the tuner. Will it effect the value of the violin?

10 hours ago, Bill Merkel said:

is blowing in the end pin for one second every day worse that breathing into the f-holes four hours a day?  

I can't imagine either of those would be worse than using a Dampit.

I have one of those brass A tuner endpins on my Snakefiddle, just for the novelty of it.

On 6/5/2019 at 11:54 AM, Dwight Brown said:

My school kids ( the fun ones) would play twinkle with the button in their mouth every time they got to open A they blew the pitch pipe instead of playing the string!

( class version in D major instead of A major)

DLB

Kudos to you. That sort of creativity and humor in a student will play out well for them in many areas of life.

In the Weisshaar shop, we used to do the same thing by tapping on the hoods of our desk lamps. But the notes of the desk lamps varied by as much as a major third, so we could use them for more notes.

Nope, Hans wasn't super-fond of us doing that. :lol:

• 1 year later...

The pipe function seems crazy but I wonder if the heavy brass material has any sound benefits? I've seen buttons made of  titanium, of aluminium and of polycarbonate with brass, for sale. Have anyone tried to change the  button only to see how it affects the sound?

I would like my violin to be more resonate, responsive and it could be worth a try, perhaps?

It's a fine modern violin, Guarneri model, with a professional set up. I've changed the bridge and it got a little bit better. I've also had the sound post adjusted, but there was only little change in sound.

Of course I've tried different strings, but the nature of the violin is about the same.

Maybe a tail piece and tail gut change would have a bigger impact, but I'm curious if anyone has something to say about buttons of different materials.

50 minutes ago, Ellan said:

I'm curious if anyone has something to say about buttons of different materials.

Endpins are effectively just a mass added to the endblock... similar to a chinrest and its hardware (assuming it's tightly clamped).  Chinrests are generally very massive compared to the endpin, so I can't see that the endpin would be a good place to try making tonal adjustments.  Changing chinrests would be more effective, but probably limiited in effect mostly to the lower frequencies.

On 11/17/2021 at 7:45 AM, Don Noon said:

Endpins are effectively just a mass added to the endblock... similar to a chinrest and its hardware (assuming it's tightly clamped).  Chinrests are generally very massive compared to the endpin, so I can't see that the endpin would be a good place to try making tonal adjustments.  Changing chinrests would be more effective, but probably limiited in effect mostly to the lower frequencies.

There are violin makers out there who swear that the new Aluminium endpin alters the sound. 

However, there are sometimes tiny things you wouldn’t think they change anything (at least if you look on it with physics) but a listening test clearly shows a difference. Someone showed me years ago a fine tuner saying that it would improve the sound. ‘Improvement’ aside, I could hear a difference when playing the fiddle (and it wasn’t a bad instrument). If this is audible in the audience is a different question, most likely not. In the end my philosophy on those things is that the player needs to feel comfortable with the instrument whatever ‘attachments’ are made to it.

On 11/17/2021 at 6:49 AM, Ellan said:

but I'm curious if anyone has something to say about buttons of different materials.

You can put a small clamp on your endpin and check it out yourself very easily.

I think what is more important in some cases is the distance between the two tailguts.  Closer together, bass notes sound a little bit fuller. It’s not much, but when adjusting a problematic instrument I go for every bit from all possible ends.

Secondly I think that the end pin position should be off center towards the treble side. This hasn’t to do anything with sound but rather maintenance. If a violinist drops his/her case and brings it to a violin maker, usually the bridge slips a fraction of a mm towards the bass side. The reason is that the E string pushes it in this direction and the force from the g string is not high enough to counterbalance it. If there would be an equilibrium in forces the bridge wouldn’t move when the instrument gets a shock. To create the equilibrium all is needed is to move the position of the endpin to the treble side. 

10 hours ago, Andreas Preuss said:

Secondly I think that the end pin position should be off center towards the treble side. This hasn’t to do anything with sound but rather maintenance. If a violinist drops his/her case and brings it to a violin maker, usually the bridge slips a fraction of a mm towards the bass side. The reason is that the E string pushes it in this direction and the force from the g string is not high enough to counterbalance it. If there would be an equilibrium in forces the bridge wouldn’t move when the instrument gets a shock. To create the equilibrium all is needed is to move the position of the endpin to the treble side. 

This is a good suggestion, I do too, but how much do you move it towards the treble side?

47 minutes ago, Davide Sora said:

This is a good suggestion, I do too, but how much do you move it towards the treble side?

Not too much if I have a joint in the ribs, just as much that it is not too obvious, maybe 1mm. 

long ago I figured the precise measurement out by putting a bridge on some slippery piece of paper and I vaguely remember that it was something 3-4 mm. 

The clever solution would be to misplace the center joint of the back slightly and align the rib joint to that.