Sign in to follow this  
tchaikovsgay

Why Does This Violin Have a Face on The Scroll!?

1 hour ago, Dwight Brown said:

I am Facebook friends with a viol maker who does the best carved heads I have ever seen.  Most I see are not so great but his are wonderful.

DLB

There are quite a few contemporary makers who make exquisite head carvings.  Jonathan Hill, Gessina Liedmeir, Ed Maday, Martin Billier, Noellie Nioulou just to name a few

I believe on the Wieniawski website it tells what violins all the contestants used.  I'd forgotten that.  At least it used to.  On Amelia's website there's lots of violin pics but not one of this one.

11 minutes ago, Bill Merkel said:

I believe on the Wieniawski website it tells what violins all the contestants used.  I'd forgotten that.  At least it used to.  On Amelia's website there's lots of violin pics but not one of this one.

The information is still there, at least in the Polish language version of the website. The violin was lent to Amelia for the duration of the competition by the luthier Maria Porębska-Synowietz , who owns a shop in Wiesbaden, Germany.

There are a few pics of the violin on the website of the Wieniawski Competition (I won't be allowed to link to them, but they are easy to find with a site search).

19 minutes ago, Rue said:

Nope. I'd luv an ass. :wub:

7cbf2d93774a9493baed6bf76f34-am-i-a-donkey.jpg

I still have no clue why my wife bought me a T-shirt with a similar picture, and text which reads, "I'm a smart one".  :lol:

9 hours ago, David Burgess said:

I am not a huge fan of faces replacing scrolls, but isn't it a little better than an ass? :D

8 hours ago, David Burgess said:

I still have no clue why my wife bought me a T-shirt with a similar picture, and text which reads, "I'm a smart one".  :lol:

Then we could carve your head on a fiddle and have it both ways at once.  :P:lol:

9 hours ago, Rue said:

Nope. I'd luv an ass. :wub:

7cbf2d93774a9493baed6bf76f34-am-i-a-donkey.jpg

Awwww, that's someone's baby.  They're funny animals.  :)

11 hours ago, David Burgess said:

I am not a huge fan of faces replacing scrolls, but isn't it a little better than an ass? :D

That would make a good company to mandolin with leaking tiolet inlay I once wanted to do...  (as a protest to Gibson "flowerpot" issue)

NotGibson.jpg