Sign in to follow this  
Thomas Knight

VIOLIN ID HELP

I have a disassembled box, no scroll. Had it for many years and never could identify the region with certainty. With what I have learned over the years here on MN from the experts who routinely share their knowledge I will make a guess of it and hopefully someone can correct me if I am way off. BOB construction with no corner blocks. Back and ribs appear to be the same wood, so does that show a single maker and eliminate back and top carved by different hands than the ribs/garland? Lower block looks original, neck block missing. I think I see outline of through neck and a later neck block. Flat and wide saddle--baroque saddle? Top grain is quite wavy. Extremely low asymmetrical f-holes, with long lower  curve and outer edges 'opened up' by someone to 'improve' airflow? Abruptly high arching at upper and lower bouts on both back and top. Area at bridge feet is nearly flat. Purfling looks original. Original varnish soaked completely through? Back thickness is 3.4mm in the center tapering to 2.5mm consistently across the upper lungs and 2.2 mm at the lower lungs. 357mm lob. 162mm upper, 106mm center, 200mm lower. Top thickness is 3mm everywhere. Bass bar is glued in. There is not a single crack anywhere. The varnish is soft and a bit sticky. I thought the button had been grafted as there was some form of glue/filler over that area 30mm x 25mm. I scraped it off to find no damage at all except maybe a worm hole ??? Very strange. So my guess is Saxon/Bohemian late 18th C. Jacob, I am guessing you have seen plenty of these. High shoulders point me toward Klingenthal. Better quality than the typical  rubbish? Thoughts anyone?

20190531_102718.jpg

20190531_102729.jpg

20190531_102748.jpg

20190531_102804.jpg

15 minutes ago, Thomas Knight said:

. So my guess is Saxon/Bohemian late 18th C. Jacob, I am guessing you have seen plenty of these. High shoulders point me toward Klingenthal. Better quality than the typical  rubbish? Thoughts anyone?

If you would guess late 19th C., I would agree with you

7 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

If you would guess late 19th C., I would agree with you

Hi Jacob, is there a specific clue that shows it's age? I thought the saddle being flat indicated a baroque instrument. So this is an instrument carved on the router and thus a glued in bass bar? Thank you.

5 hours ago, Thomas Knight said:

So this is an instrument carved on the router and thus a glued in bass bar? Thank you.

Kind of looks to me like the area around the bass bar has been scraped down, maybe it had an integral bar that was removed and replaced with a glue in?

4 hours ago, glebert said:

Kind of looks to me like the area around the bass bar has been scraped down, maybe it had an integral bar that was removed and replaced with a glue in?

I think you are half correct. I looked carefully and see pencil lines which may show where a shorter bassbar ends would have been. So the original bassbar, whether integral or glued in, was possibly shorter. Can anyone comment on whether carved in bassbars were pencil marked? Or were the pencil marks added so the new bassbar would be equidistant on either end past the pencil marks.

20190531_214253.jpg

20190531_214323.jpg