Sign in to follow this  
AtlVcl

"The Price is Right"...?

Anybody willing to play? If so, what's your best guess at the MSRP of the M. Tree Busan viola on Tarisio? Keep in mind it's provenance is traced back to the Budapest Quartet, and presumably it's in fine condition. Only two famous professional players for  at least the last 75 years or so.

No $ reward, just bragging rights.

My semi-educated guess is $150,000...

2 hours ago, AtlVcl said:

Anybody willing to play? If so, what's your best guess at the MSRP of the M. Tree Busan viola on Tarisio? Keep in mind it's provenance is traced back to the Budapest Quartet, and presumably it's in fine condition. Only two famous professional players for  at least the last 75 years or so.

Ummmm..............like it's very hard to tell.   Like, I mean, it's a viola.  What if whoever has it maybe has like an Italian cello for sale too, and does like the Chinese dealers?  You know, buy the cello, and they throw in the viola for free?  Then it's priceless, right?  I know, cuz I've got one of those.   Hey, it could happen. :huh::ph34r:;)

Can you link to it please? I thought they sold it in a private sale a little while ago. Is it for sale again? I looked on Tarisio and couldn't find it. Michael Tree at the helm of that viola was an important early influence one me.

On 5/30/2019 at 10:59 PM, AtlVcl said:

I know anyone who does the prudent Price is Right move of guessing $1 is going to lose here. So I say $205000 is what it will go for, and the buyer will be happy about it. 1750, Venice...yeah. It might be ugly but it sounds awesome. MSRP probably $115000.

I don't know what the highest price for a Busan was, (still under 100000?) but the name is gonna be lifted massively because Michael Tree played one. $205000 on his personal Busan may be crazy for 2019, but it's just for fun. I'll be watching now what actually happens on this sale.

Edit:is there a sale, or did you just hear it is coming up for auction again? 

6 hours ago, Ethan Ford Heath said:

Can you link to it please? I thought they sold it in a private sale a little while ago. Is it for sale again? I looked on Tarisio and couldn't find it. Michael Tree at the helm of that viola was an important early influence one me.

It's still listed under "Private Sales" on the Website, along with David Soyer's Guarneri. Same quartet for several decades. Even though Soyer was famously fickle, I know Tree bought the Busan from Koromzay, probably in (another educated guess here, though I could find out if it was important to someone) the 70's.

4 hours ago, Ethan Ford Heath said:

It is listed under the heading "recently sold items", as far as I can see.

You are correct. Mea maxima culpa. Obviously I didn't read closely enough. The real reason I was interested is because I recently sold a Busan cello, and I guess I'm just curious that way.

Thanks for all the interesting contributions!

2 hours ago, AtlVcl said:

......I recently sold a Busan cello...........

See!  Somebody's putting a 'package" together.  ;):lol:

12 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

See!  Somebody's putting a 'package" together.  ;):lol:

Right. I WISH I owned the M. Tree viola!!!

3 hours ago, AtlVcl said:

Right. I WISH I owned the M. Tree viola!!! 

Me too... or even a good copy. Or even just the technical specs needed to have a go at making a few copies of it myself.

2 minutes ago, Ethan Ford Heath said:

Me too... or even a good copy. Or even just the technical specs needed to have a go at making a few copies of it myself.

Eighteenth century spruce being thin on the ground these days, the tech specs may not be helpful anyway.

You too can build the Michael Tree viola. I believe it's on the Reuning CD Rom from an exhibition he held. It's not expensive to buy and there are details on close to 30 instruments. All Venetian. My husband's making a copy now. Not of the CD Rom, of the ex Michael Tree viola.

He was just talking today about several interesting soloists who play on a Busan viola. One of them recorded the Sinfonia Concertante with Anne Sophie Mutter: Bruno Giuranna. He thought Giuranna chose the Busan for that recording. These violas sound pretty great. Proportions are pretty... different... on the Michael Tree one, but who cares. It's a fantastic soloist instrument! Obviously.

12 hours ago, Ethan Ford Heath said:

A bit of searching suggests that that CD-ROM may be as rare as hen's teeth made of gold dust. sigh.

Aaah! It's gone, a dead link to the book and CD Rom! I know it wasn't gone just a few months ago. I suggest you call Chris Reuning and supplicate to him with the offer of dinner. It's a CD Rom, he can make more copies. And he seems to really love good food. Of course, after you buy Reuning dinner you might as well have asked for the book. He is a major gourmet, and you're gonna have to sonehow get him the chef's table. I've seen his facebook. High standards. Good luck. 

Alternatively, you could just ask him. It used to be not more than $40 for all of that information. I don't remember exactly, just that I was surprised at how nominal the cost was. He wanted everyone to get into Venetian makers as much as he is, obviously.