Sign in to follow this  
Kristen Stadelmaier

Can you tell me anything about this instrument? Labeled Maregno Romanus Rinaldi

6 minutes ago, martin swan said:

Maestronet is a walk in the park compared to 5/6 years ago!

Which park? Some parks can be dangerous places, especially at night.:ph34r:

1 hour ago, martin swan said:

Maestronet is a walk in the park compared to 5/6 years ago!

True, and I'm glad of it.  However, if we don't maintain the park, it could become a jungle again.  :unsure:

Couldn't imagine why this topic kept going for 7 pages and gave up on page 4.

It does seem that some real advice for the OP is that children who try to learn on inadequate equipment often get discouraged and some give up forever. I advise people who say they can't afford a proper instrument and bow to invest the $30 a month to rent one. This has the added advantage that they can trade up as the child grows and if they rent from a respectable shop will usually have some sort of credit towards a purchase when they decide to do so.

If schools are offering music programs they should try to have some decent playable  loaners for kids who can't participate otherwise. If that is not an option they should encourage the child to join the chorus and try a stringed instrument later in life .

9 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

I’m not going to restate my points, which remain valid. I’m also not going to try again to clarify your misunderstanding.

I’m glad you’ve had good success, which is after all the goal of every music student.

Thanks for not restating your points, which remain unsubstantiated, erroneous, and appear to have been based on very limited actual experience with the Suzuki methodology or any experience whatsoever with Suzuki programs.

On 6/14/2019 at 12:20 PM, Kristen Stadelmaier said:

because it's an unlabelled Vogtland instrument from the late 19th century. I happen to like German instruments.

And (I assume) so does Jacob! :)

Differences aside, it's nice to remember we're all here because of shared interests.:wub:

2 hours ago, Rue said:

Differences aside, it's nice to remember we're all here because of shared interests.:wub:

Popcorn and Schadenfreude;):lol:

Other than mostly being violin nerds, MN hosts a diverse bunch.  If anything, I'm rather surprised that things stay as peaceful as they do.  :)

I'm always amazed to see well educated adult people disagree over insignificancies in certain ways....

Keep diplomacy! Diplomacy! 

16 hours ago, Riodifirenze said:

I'm always amazed to see well educated adult people disagree over insignificancies in certain ways....

Keep diplomacy! Diplomacy! 

But nothing is insignificant in diplomacy! ;)

Various things are being conflated here. An unlabelled Vogtland instrument from the 19thC.is an object with merits of its own. A re-varnished, otherwise broken, irretrievably butchered box with a fake Italian label, is from a different category.

Mixing the two things up, is ignorance and not “diplomacy”

4 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

Various things are being conflated here. An unlabelled Vogtland instrument from the 19thC.is an object with merits of its own. A re-varnished, otherwise broken, irretrievably butchered box with a fake Italian label, is from a different category.

No-one said it was. Only that there are diplomatic ways of saying it.

In the cold light of day, what Jacob says is straight to the point!

An opinion was asked and a honest opinion given

30 minutes ago, reg said:

In the cold light of day, what Jacob says is straight to the point!

An opinion was asked and a honest opinion given

No one is denying his honesty.

51 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

I have nothing against the truth. 

But if we a want to see a better world we've got to start on ourselves! 

38 minutes ago, Riodifirenze said:

But if we a want to see a better world we've got to start on ourselves! 

Can't agree more! This was a quite nice and harmless MN identification thread untill the accusations about rudeness started.

1 hour ago, Blank face said:

Can't agree more! This was a quite nice and harmless MN identification thread untill the accusations about rudeness started.

We can't know why someone acts like he does, but we can give the best of ourselves to be kind with everyone even if our opinions are opposite. That is diplomacy. 

9 minutes ago, sospiri said:

He's from Nottingham.

I wasn't referring to Jacob nor anybody in concrete. 

19 minutes ago, Riodifirenze said:

We can't know why someone acts like he does, but we can give the best of ourselves to be kind with everyone even if our opinions are opposite. Or our beliefs, countries, race, gender, etc

That is diplomacy. 

1 hour ago, Riodifirenze said:

We can't know why someone acts like he does, but we can give the best of ourselves to be kind with everyone even if our opinions are opposite. That is diplomacy. 

Agree once more.

The problem here was that some gave their best but this was regarded as rude, and answered inadequate. So it seems to be insolvable.

17 minutes ago, Blank face said:

Agree once more.

The problem here was that some gave their best but this was regarded as rude, and answered inadequate. So it seems to be insolvable.

I never regard anybody as rude (unless he is coming with a sword to cut me in half) and if I know he is wrong I try to tell him that politically. If somebody regards me as rude although that has never been my intention then I try to be even nicer. 

Reading through the thread one might see that it was tried several times to explain that there wasn't anything meant as unpolite, but without success. So what's left to do?

12 minutes ago, Riodifirenze said:

if I know he is wrong I try to tell him that politically

Of course, but unfortunately not allowed here;).

13 minutes ago, Riodifirenze said:

I never regard anybody as rude (unless he is coming with a sword to cut me in half)

OOh, that's exactly what our appreciated colleague VdA is supposed to do, I'm afraid of.:wacko:

23 minutes ago, Blank face said:

Reading through the thread one might see that it was tried several times to explain that there wasn't anything meant as unpolite, but without success. So what's left to do?

Of course, but unfortunately not allowed here;).

OOh, that's exactly what our appreciated colleague VdA is supposed to do, I'm afraid of.:wacko:

Only if someone draws on me first, or if they're made entirely of rice straw and bamboo ;).  I practice iaido/battojutsu, which prizes self-control, and peaceful resolution without actual fighting. :)

20 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

Only if someone draws on me first, or if they're made entirely of rice straw and bamboo ;).  I practice iaido/battojutsu, which prizes self-control, and peaceful resolution without actual fighting. :)

Speaking of swords, While kicking tires at invaluable, I found an old Asian sword, and I thought of you. I wanted to send a link directly, but in valuable does not allow that, for some reason.

39 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

I practice Aikido and shaolin chi-gong among others. I know how to conserve inner peace when attacked in any way... B)