Sign in to follow this  
Kristen Stadelmaier

Can you tell me anything about this instrument? Labeled Maregno Romanus Rinaldi

6 hours ago, antero said:

Well, you specifically addressed the Suzuki repertoire, thats why I asked, what was so wrong with it.

Oh well if you’re specifically asking about the Suzuki repertoire, I could easily address that, but it would require also addressing several other things. I loved Suzuki’s autobiography and I think his fundamental idea is correct But in practice it has turned out to have some problems. I will be happy to address some of them in private message, but this is about a new violin for a young teacher, and no need to clutter up the thread with discussions about other things

5 minutes ago, glebert said:

Kristen, I am glad that you play your violins and enjoy them. There are some on this forum who seem to have lost the enjoyment of playing music, if they ever knew it. 

Thank you, and I agree, it seems that some are more concerned about whether or not it's worth a lot, and if it isn't, that it must be trash, and no one will tell them otherwise. That makes me sad.

5 minutes ago, glebert said:

Kristen, I am glad that you play your violins and enjoy them. There are some on this forum who seem to have lost the enjoyment of playing music, if they ever knew it. 

Thank you, and I agree, it seems that some are more concerned about whether or not it's worth a lot, and if it isn't, that it must be trash, and no one will tell them otherwise. That makes me sad.

3 minutes ago, Kristen Stadelmaier said:

It really does! It's beautiful <3 it does great in chamber and orchestral settings! I'd need brighter strings for solo work, but I don't see myself ever doing a solo with an orchestra, so dark strings are perfect for it.

Some people are cantankerous, but I will remind you of that line from The Desiderata:

“ listen to others, even to the dull and the ignorant; they too have their story.”

;-)

Bless you.

8 minutes ago, Kristen Stadelmaier said:

I think for many professional luthiers their opinion of an instrument is tied to its monetary value because they can't work at a loss or tell people that a low value instrument is worth fixing (again, from a monetary value perspective). I am not a professional luthier, not even an amateur, just a guy who hacks on low value cellos sometimes.

49 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

Some people are cantankerous

Not the first time that we are reading this phrase, and not the first time by people starting (or ending) many of their contributions with "I know nothing".

There are other violin forums in the internet where one could ask and receive lots of meaningless responses like "enjoy" and "how does it sound?", but maybe the reason for many to ask here is that you will get serious answers  by people doing this work as their daily living.

So when the OP was asking "What can you tell me about" it wasn't discussed only monetary value, but first "Is it genuine", what was answered in the first few posts, and after that questions about it's use as a musical instrument and what it would take to make it enjoyable, or if the necessary money for these actions should be better inversted in or saved for a different instrument. Nothing else.

So I could say that it's making me sad, very sad that this efforts are dismissed as cantankerous or "dull and ignorant", but the truth is that I don't care.

I don't care if the OP now enjoys her violin or might later regret it, or what certain readers might think of it, but me and some others do care a bit about many people out there possibly wondering about "should I buy this "great rare old Italian labelled" 150 $ Ebay violin" and are taking this as a reference.

20 minutes ago, glebert said:

I think for many professional luthiers their opinion of an instrument is tied to its monetary value because they can't work at a loss or tell people that a low value instrument is worth fixing (again, from a monetary value perspective). I am not a professional luthier, not even an amateur, just a guy who hacks on low value cellos sometimes.

Actually, I know for a fact that at least one dealer was famous for telling unsuspecting owners  they had a priceless instrument and all it needed was some restoration, which he would happily do for them. They did the work, paid a lot of money, then found out the violin was most certainly not worth the work. They went back to him in a rage and he rage right back saying that he was right everybody else was wrong. I don’t know how many people do that, But he did, and because the violin field involves so much ignorance on one side of the transaction, it probably isn’t all that uncommon.

1 hour ago, Kristen Stadelmaier said:

Too appeal to me, a violin should be in good (i.e.not ruined) condition, all the  bits belong originaly together, the varnish be original and un-manipulated, and the original un-manipulated label be in, as on day one, and the attribution be beyond question. I am not particularly bothered about seperating you from your money, since I have some money of my own. If you show me some trash, and ask what I think about it, I am Duty bound to say so.

bdh.gif.b8ed365e30711b17ef40b73b4037ac7c.gifpopcorn-and-drink-smiley-emoticon.gif.b9ef7dfb407de3e491349a477986a042.gif

We've been here before.  BTW, using "duty" as an excuse for beastly conduct got shot down at Nuremberg in 1946, if some here have forgotten.  :P

20 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

Too appeal to me, a violin should be in good (i.e.not ruined) condition, all the  bits belong originaly together, the varnish be original and un-manipulated, and the original un-manipulated label be in, as on day one, and the attribution be beyond question

There are actually many good violins that meet all these criteria and also are not particularly expensive. One might even be able to give one as a gift to the Emperor of Japan.

3 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

bdh.gif.b8ed365e30711b17ef40b73b4037ac7c.gifpopcorn-and-drink-smiley-emoticon.gif.b9ef7dfb407de3e491349a477986a042.gif

We've been here before.  BTW, using "duty" as an excuse for beastly conduct got shot down at Nuremberg in 1946, if some here have forgotten.  :P

Seriously, is your excuse now to be the new Village idiot?

2 minutes ago, Blank face said:

Seriously, is your excuse now to be the new Village idiot?

Judging by your earlier post, you've beaten me to it.  There is no excuse for this current trend toward dogpiling (a football term) on new members and vilely ridiculing their instruments, especially when they themselves are doing their best to be nice about the whole thing.  :P

8 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

Judging by your earlier post, you've beaten me to it.  There is no excuse for this current trend toward dogpiling (a football term) on new members and vilely ridiculing their instruments, especially when they themselves are doing their best to be nice about the whole thing.  :P

There wasn‘t anything inadequate to the OP, just well founded opinions about her violin when she asked for exactly this, wether you or she liked it or even not. When you are starting to joke about mass murdering in this context I’m finished here.

5 minutes ago, Blank face said:

There wasn‘t anything inadequate to the OP, just well founded opinions about her violin when she asked for exactly this, wether you or she liked it or even not. When you are starting to joke about mass murdering in this context I’m finished here.

No joke, I wanted (and got) your undivided attention.  Great.  Bye!  And please be a little more tactful to the next newb to wander in with Granddad's fiddle.  :P

28 minutes ago, GeorgeH said:

There are actually many good violins that meet all these criteria and also are not particularly expensive. One might even be able to give one as a gift to the Emperor of Japan.

Exactly. I recently, for instance, bought a Kiendl Mödling from late 19th C. which jumps all these hurdles, and was not more expensive than Ebay „conquests“ displayed here.

The Emperor seems to have been taken care of for now:)

35 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

And you are improving or rectifying things with this nonsense, by equating an opinion on an Ebay violin with mass murderers?

Seriously?

3 minutes ago, Blank face said:

Not the first time that we are reading this phrase, and not the first time by people starting (or ending) many of their contributions with "I know nothing".

There are other violin forums in the internet where one could ask and receive lots of meaningless responses like "enjoy" and "how does it sound?", but maybe the reason for many to ask here is that you will get serious answers  by people doing this work as their daily living.

So when the OP was asking "What can you tell me about" it wasn't discussed only monetary value, but first "Is it genuine", what was answered in the first few posts, and after that questions about it's use as a musical instrument and what it would take to make it enjoyable, or if the necessary money for these actions should be better inversted in or saved for a different instrument. Nothing else.

So I could say that it's making me sad, very sad that this efforts are dismissed as cantankerous or "dull and ignorant", but the truth is that I don't care.

I don't care if the OP now enjoys her violin or might later regret it, or what certain readers might think of it, but me and some others do care a bit about many people out there possibly wondering about "should I buy this "great rare old Italian labelled" 150 $ Ebay violin and are taking this as a reference.

My comment was meant as a joke, and you are essentially correct, but takes no skill at all to be kind. There is no purpose or benefit to being unkind, even if the information you are conveying is true.

Our OP isn't the only one who's reading and learning from these discussions. Many others, like myself, are learning from the shared wisdom and experience of Jacob, Blank Face, Martin and others, and I, for one, appreciate their candor. Thanks to them, I feel that I've been somewhat innoculated against possibly stepping into someone's violinistic "dogpile" myself.

It seems to me that one of the fundamental problems people have is that they allow their own sense of self worth to be dependent on the value of some "things" that they possess. It's good to grow out of that, and allow our possessed chips to fall where they may. Don't take "things" so personally.

Just now, Dave Slight said:

And you are improving or rectifying things with this nonsense, by equating an opinion on an Ebay violin with mass murderers?

Seriously?

No, I wasn't equating those cases.  My comment was intended to make some people, who apparently feel that hazing newcomers with snotty and hurtful comments is justified, and who have been showing less and less restraint in connotationally loading their descriptions of other people's fiddles lately, stop and think.  I apologize for offense given in other quarters.

The doctrine I referenced is regularly cited in legal discussions of even minor offenses BTW, when "duty". "orders", "it's always commonly been done", and similar excuses are offered.  The way that I referred to it, rather than tying it to some obscure fraternity hazing, or school bullying case, was perhaps overkill.  Sorry.

2 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

Oh well if you’re specifically asking about the Suzuki repertoire

No, I am actually asking for nothing, I know it pretty well and have no strong feelings about it (in either direction).

I was just curious, as you put this repertoire next to crap and Kristen seemed to a Suzuki teacher.

I kind of like this parallel topic in this thread ^_^ it has gone the usual way anyhow...

36 minutes ago, MarkBouquet clearsky said:

Our OP isn't the only one who's reading and learning from these discussions. Many others, like myself, are learning from the shared wisdom and experience of Jacob, Blank Face, Martin and others, and I, for one, appreciate their candor. Thanks to them, I feel that I've been somewhat innoculated against possibly stepping into someone's violinistic "dogpile" myself.

It seems to me that one of the fundamental problems people have is that they allow their own sense of self worth to be dependent on the value of some "things" that they possess. It's good to grow out of that, and allow our possessed chips to fall where they may. Don't take "things" so personally.

I agree that dispelling wisdom and experience to those less wise and less experienced is fine and encouraged, as I'm still learning too, but there is never any reason to say something nasty. Even if something was a stupid move or a dumb question, there's always a kind way to address it. There's no need to be so caustic in responses.

I think you're right, a lot of people put their self-worth in their belongings, but I am not one of them. I know who I am and where my self-worth lies. I'm extremely protective of my Grandpa's violin because he and I were incredibly close, and I'm astounded that even with the knowledge that this instrument means so much to me, people will disregard it and be nasty because it's not a violin that they'd consider twice. So yes, I might get a little bit hurt when people pass judgement when they have never heard it. It's amazing to me how coarse some are in their responses.

As for this new violin, I have a good feeling about it. I'm not such a newbie that I can't distinguish a poorly constructed violin from a decent one, and once I had it in my hands, I felt like it will work out just fine as a teaching and backup instrument, despite the repairs it needs.

I got my viola on ebay too, and it's gorgeous. I've gotten many compliments on it from colleagues and friends, and some are of astonishment when I tell them where I got it. It's not worth a whole lot, but it's extremely resonant, responds great, and has a slightly brighter tone (not in a bad way, but I just bought some darker strings for it) for a viola. It blends with other instruments well, and I don't think I'll ever need to upgrade it. But, people on here will say it's trash just because it's an unlabelled Vogtland instrument from the late 19th century. I happen to like German instruments.

Sorry for the rant, and no ill will towards those who have not been as kind on here as they could have been.

15 minutes ago, antero said:

No, I am actually asking for nothing, I know it pretty well and have no strong feelings about it (in either direction).

I was just curious, as you put this repertoire next to crap and Kristen seemed to a Suzuki teacher.

I kind of like this parallel topic in this thread ^_^ it has gone the usual way anyhow...

I'm not Suzuki certified, but have picked up some tips and tricks from colleagues who are. I teach a modified Suzuki curriculum that I created and that seems to work out splendidly, and I do not call myself a Suzuki teacher. Philip and I have had some great conversations about Suzuki and other methods, and I've learned a lot. I would love to take at least the beginning course to broaden my horizons, but, as previously mentioned, ya girl's a poor grad student and I've gotta pay for 8 grad credits in the fall. Please pray for me :P

6 minutes ago, Kristen Stadelmaier said:

people on here will say it's trash just because it's an unlabelled Vogtland instrument from the late 19th century. I happen to like German Instruments..

No they don't. An unlabeled 19th C Vogtlandische Instrument is fine. What isn't is a revarnished decrepid one, labeled up as Italian

2 hours ago, Violadamore said:

I love your comments. By the way, every time I try and insert an emoji into a comment, I am forbidden to do so. What makes you so special?