Sign in to follow this  
Kristen Stadelmaier

Can you tell me anything about this instrument? Labeled Maregno Romanus Rinaldi

Excellent!  Thanks for keeping us in the loop!

Let us know how you like it when you have had a chance to put it through it's paces!

23 minutes ago, Kristen Stadelmaier said:

Hey guys!! I took the violin to my luthier, who is very good, and he said I did a great job! He said late 1800s German "Rinaldi" copy, and he said the only thing it needs is a new fingerboard and bridge.

The fingerboard had too much of a scoop to fix, and was starting to warp on the bottom. 

He said with what I paid and what repairs will cost, that I'll still come out under what he would sell it for, and he's extremely honest in his pricing.

So, it may not be a real Rinaldi, but it'll do just fine for my kiddos. :)

Good for you! Now you have to get a nice bow

1 hour ago, PhilipKT said:

Good for you! Now you have to get a nice bow

I've got a nice early 20th century Weichold pernambuco bow that I currently use for my good violin! If it sounds nice, I might just swap it out every day. I've got a heavier 1940s brazilwood bow, but it feels more like a viola bow. I use that one for my viola. It pulls a nice sound out of it :)

2 hours ago, Kristen Stadelmaier said:

Hey guys!! I took the violin to my luthier, who is very good, and he said I did a great job! He said late 1800s German "Rinaldi" copy, and he said the only thing it needs is a new fingerboard and bridge.

The fingerboard had too much of a scoop to fix, and was starting to warp on the bottom. 

He said with what I paid and what repairs will cost, that I'll still come out under what he would sell it for, and he's extremely honest in his pricing.

So, it may not be a real Rinaldi, but it'll do just fine for my kiddos. :)

Congratulations!!  Enjoy your new antique fiddle.  :)

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 5:38 AM, PhilipKT said:

Find real music that is level-appropriate, charming and of good quality.

Bach does not qualify any more?

17 hours ago, Kristen Stadelmaier said:

He said late 1800s German "Rinaldi" copy

Pathetic. A random gargoyle with a fake label is NOT a „copy“

28 minutes ago, antero said:

Sry, did you mention what that was?  :ph34r:

Yeah, in terms of resale value it's not worth much, but it was my grandfather's, so it has high sentimental value. 1880s German, and it's got this beautiful, dark, rich tone and is quite resonant. It's a little odd because it's really fat all around, is 14.25in in body length, and has a really thick neck. That causes it to be difficult sometimes to get up into higher positions with my small hands, but I'll never be at the level of playing that requires me to be in 8th position and higher, so I'm okay with it.

But, it's been confirmed three times that it's not a viola :) but, I love it and I will never give it away.

Here are some pics for ya!

IMG_20190523_195939.jpg

IMG_20190523_201656.jpg

IMG_20190523_193547.jpg

IMG_20190523_201617.jpg

IMG_20190523_193400.jpg

IMG_20190523_200459.jpg

40 minutes ago, Kristen Stadelmaier said:

Hi, don't be rude please.

It's not rude, but just true. There wasn't such a thing like a "Rinaldi copy" in late 19th Vogtland production.

Such violins weren't made as copies of particular makers (and Rinaldi was hardly kown in Saxony during this period) but like it was technically possible and randomly labelled from big sheets.The label here is clearly a rather recently made photo"copy".

It's hard to comment on reported statements of unknown luthiers, especially if they (as it appears here) tried to be kind to a customer (what's a nice attitude), so I didn't yet. When I had realized that you did the pegs by yourself,maybe I had rather said "not so bad for a DIY beginner", or maybe not. It's surely more kind to say "I couldn't sell you something like that for the price" than "I'm not dealing with junk".

Obviously he tried to minimize your costs, but I'm doubting that it is possible to adjust a proper bridge to this destroyed central area without pressing out the deformations in a cast before, and also a new fingerboard won't make much sense without a neck reset, or one will end up with a bridge of an unproper dimension. So this "repairs" appear to be a sort of emergency at lowest costs, but not to make a really usable instrument out of it in the long run. That's the way I'm understanding the statements, too.

At least you came here to ask about your purchase and mustn't be surprised about responses. Within serious posters here is a consens not to encourage uninformed people to buy junk violins from Ebay, to their own benefit. This was the message of the majority of posts here.

I think it's great you get to play a family instrument - I luv that generational connection.

Ignore Jacob - that wasn't at all rude coming from him! :D

There are basically two different ways of qualifying an instrument; as a tool and as an investment. I suppose the big winner given that scenario would be a mint condition Strad or DG played by a Big Name performer.

Ultimately  - as long as you/anyone are happy with your instrument/s does it really matter?

16 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

Why in the world did you infer that? Bach is the greatest composer ever.

Suzuki uses (occasionally simplified) Bach a lot...

2 hours ago, antero said:

Suzuki uses (occasionally simplified) Bach a lot...

So?  It is curious that you think at my opinion of the Suzuki system means that I dislike Bach. The problems Inherent in the Suzuki system are not ameliorated by including some Bach arrangements here and there.

1 hour ago, jacobsaunders said:

Is that the "good" violin?

Yes, as a matter of fact, it is. I never said it was worth thousands and might not be something that you folks would give a second thought to, but it's very dear to me because it's all I have left of my grandfather. :(

1 hour ago, Kristen Stadelmaier said:

Yes, as a matter of fact, it is. I never said it was worth thousands and might not be something that you folks would give a second thought to, but it's very dear to me because it's all I have left of my grandfather. :(

I'd bet it blends well in a string quartet.  :)

17 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

So?  It is curious that you think at my opinion of the Suzuki system means that I dislike Bach. The problems Inherent in the Suzuki system are not ameliorated by including some Bach arrangements here and there

Well, you specifically addressed the Suzuki repertoire, thats why I asked, what was so wrong with it.

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 7:16 PM, mathieu valde said:

If someone expect  a professional instrument for such a price, probably he is still believing Santa is real guy living in Finland.

Lapland. Which could be Finland, Sweden, Norway, Russia?

He's not going to give his real address on the internet is he? But any mail addressed to Santa, Lapland is going to reach its destination. His elves are super efficient. How could they not be?

Kristen, I am glad that you play your violins and enjoy them. There are some on this forum who seem to have lost the enjoyment of playing music, if they ever knew it. 

21 hours ago, Violadamore said:

I'd bet it blends well in a string quartet.  :)

It really does! It's beautiful <3 it does great in chamber and orchestral settings! I'd need brighter strings for solo work, but I don't see myself ever doing a solo with an orchestra, so dark strings are perfect for it.