Kristen Stadelmaier

Can you tell me anything about this instrument? Labeled Maregno Romanus Rinaldi

803654281_Screenshot_20190527-1336462.png.b43e02b6f9ed0115a005c72f9007b67b.pngHello,

I have just purchased this instrument from eBay (I know, but it was $150 so I went for it), and I'm wondering what you all can tell me about it! I don't see any cracks or blemishes, though the fingerboard has some interesting colorations. I have a new peg/tailpiece set that I got for it.

Labeled Maregno Romanus Rinaldi 1897, and the photo of the label is included. 

Is this a real Rinaldi, or a copy, and how much do you think it's worth? I'm rather excited about it, and it won't be my main instrument (which is an heirloom with sentimental value, even though it's only worth $2500), but it will be my teaching instrument.

Thanks all,

Kristen S.

Screenshot_20190527-133700~2.png

Screenshot_20190527-133653~2.png

Screenshot_20190527-133650~2.png

Screenshot_20190527-133716~2.png

Screenshot_20190527-133721~2.png

Screenshot_20190527-133610~2.png

Screenshot_20190527-133705~2.png

I’m sorry, but the label is fake, although if the instrument sounds OK, and has no damage and needs nothing except the typical new strings and bridge, then you’ve done OK.

Because of the number of workers who went through the shop, they are particularly difficult to sort out. That isn't an issue with your violin because it has nothing to do with Rinaldi, the shop, or anyone who worked there. 

Your violin, however, is worth just about what you paid for it. The antique wooden case was a prop to engage your attention. It looks like it is in need of set-up, but probably isn't woth the cost of the work.

If the fleabay seller has a return policy, I suggest boxing it up and sending it back to where you purchased it.

2 hours ago, Kristen Stadelmaier said:

I'm not sure yet, it hasn't arrived. It should be here by June 13 :)

And now you have enough posts to post directly!  Very cool.  Don't let Duane rain on your parade, you can easily pay more than $150 for a crappy new student fiddle that isn't as pretty, and lacks the obvious age on this one.  IMHO, 90% chance it's something or other vintage German.  In this price range it's all about sound.  Read up on set ups, and get a few tools and supplies.  Good luck, and welcome to MN. :)

1 hour ago, Violadamore said:

And now you have enough posts to post directly!  Very cool.  Don't let Duane rain on your parade, you can easily pay more than $150 for a crappy new student fiddle that isn't as pretty, and lacks the obvious age on this one.  IMHO, 90% chance it's something or other vintage German.  In this price range it's all about sound.  Read up on set ups, and get a few tools and supplies.  Good luck, and welcome to MN. :)

You’re a nice person.

When are you going to come have that coffee with me?

This violin looks like some stripped, badly revarnished and mislabeled cheap Saxon instrument, which surely has many issues which make it completely worthless. I see a neck projection much too high, what would need a 1 000 Dollar sum alone to fix it properly, and each advise like “buy some tools and DIY “ is hilarious.

35 minutes ago, Blank face said:

This violin looks like some stripped, badly revarnished and mislabeled cheap Saxon instrument, which surely has many issues which make it completely worthless. I see a neck projection much too high, what would need a 1 000 Dollar sum alone to fix it properly, and each advise like “buy some tools and DIY “ is hilarious.

Why?  I do it.  :P

If she gets it, tries it, and likes it, what then, Blankie?  Let's wait and see.  :)

41 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

Why?  I do it.  :P

If she gets it, tries it, and likes it, what then, Blankie?  Let's wait and see.  :)

Then you have led her on “path to serfdom”.:ph34r:

8 minutes ago, Blank face said:

Not at all.  I will have led her onto the path to greater freedom and self-mastery, as well as saving a bundle on fiddles. :P

2 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

Not at all.  I will have led her onto the path to greater freedom and self-mastery, as well as saving a bundle on fiddles. :P

What’s another name for emptying your pockets for worthless junk?

9 hours ago, Blank face said:

Heyeks book „Weg zur Knechtschaft“ is called “Road to Serfdom“ in the English language version. Whichever language, Hayek’s teaching would be to put it in the dustbin

9 hours ago, Violadamore said:

steal.thumb.jpg.79c87cd18539a1493f0a458b09c3e980.jpg

You spent $150.00.  If it plays, and sounds decent, it doesn't matter whether it is real or not simply based upon the purpose you stated for purchasing (teaching instrument).  

Having said that, probably fake.  

On a side note, I'm not sure how I feel about a teacher who teaches me on a $150.00 ebay violin.  Unless the teacher was Heifetz or something.  Just saying.

18 hours ago, Kristen Stadelmaier said:

I wasn't looking for a snarky answer. I just want to know about the instrument.

Thanks.

Better snarks than sharks.

2 minutes ago, violinnewb said:

You spent $150.00.  If it plays, and sounds decent, it doesn't matter whether it is real or not simply based upon the purpose you stated for purchasing (teaching instrument).  

Having said that, probably fake.  

On a side note, I'm not sure how I feel about a teacher who teaches me on a $150.00 ebay violin.  Unless the teacher was Heifetz or something.  Just saying.

If it plays and sounds decent, then I don't think 8 year olds in public school will care how much I paid or where it came from.

11 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

You’re a nice person.

When are you going to come have that coffee with me?

Well if that doesn't do it.....?

2 minutes ago, Kristen Stadelmaier said:

If it plays and sounds decent, then I don't think 8 year olds in public school will care how much I paid or where it came from.

Very true!  

My personal motto: when you teach, you learn twice.

I only bring this up because a nice violin and bow, that you use often, will likely help you improve more than a cheap instrument.  I still think $150.00, even for a fake, was a good deal for a full sized violin.  Even if you cost out the parts at wholesale, and even if the parts are the lowest of quality, don't know how anyone could sell a full sized violin for $150.00.  

9 minutes ago, duane88 said:

steal.thumb.jpg.79c87cd18539a1493f0a458b09c3e980.jpg

So successful dealers know nothing of music?  Now I understand the "sound doesn't matter" thing.  :huh::lol:

34 minutes ago, Violadamore said:

So successful dealers know nothing of music?  Now I understand the "sound doesn't matter" thing.  :huh::lol:

A Dr friend went to Chicago searching for a nice cello. I kept giving him the line about who made it and condition mattering more than anything else, confusing as it is, when determining the price of something that we make sound with. Big dealer in Chicago shows him many nice instruments. He gravitates toward 2 in particular, one is 75k, the other 250k. He thinks that the 75k cello sounds much better than the more expensive instrument, and says so. The big, very successful dealer tells him, "we don't sell tone, we sell provenance and condition."

I try to sell tone. Guess that's why I don't own a house...I am also a fan of condition, but an instrument with well-executed repairs is nothing to fear. You just get a good sounding instrument for less. The problem with repairs is that "well-executed" part. Every instrument that I sell, if it has old repairs, needs to be gone through. If the repairs are not good, stable repairs, they must be redone or reinforced. I have disposed of a fair number of instruments as of late. These are things that were purchased in what a friend calls the romantic phase of our career. That is when you think that every decent instrument should be saved from the dumpster and given new life. Now, and I have for some years, realized that not everything should be repaired. I put bows in the trash can that I would have tried to salvage years ago. My bow maker friend who does my rehairs(she is a Federation member) gives me a hard time for tossing bows, but in all of the years that I have offered them to her, she has only kept one. The rest went back in the basket.

So, not everything should be repaired, and the folks who have the least disposable funds to purchase instruments are in the most need of decent, well set-up instruments, which, with regret, are new Chinese instruments. An old Germanic/Schonbach fiddle that has been refinished and needs a complete set-up is probably not the best place to stick your funds, unless you don't need to balance your checkbook.