Sign in to follow this  
Julian Cossmann Cooke

Style elements of del Gesu

23 hours ago, DoorMouse said:

I recommend contacting Bruce Carlson regarding his excellent photo set of 1735 Chardon.
It's the best preserved example of DG's work and should give you a good sense of what the edgework and corners looked like pre-wear. 

58d433ff878d4_1735Chardonbelly.thumb.jpg.bb5b6e554944228099e0329a8d9c87a7.jpg

This is a genuine Giuseppe?I'm confused now. Is this photo of a copy or of a genuine Messiah type original?

21 hours ago, Violadamore said:

I'd prefer "over-encouraged".  :ph34r:;)

I love that film. It is so bloody good. I was watching that on BBC 2 the other night. No adverts, which is how Britain won the war, wars. Because wasting time listening to bullshit babbling by yanks causes me to swear like a Docker! And, Marty Feldman is funnier, and gave the others a good reason to be grateful for his mastery at the art of realistic, adult mastery of the true art of comedic pathos, whit, and that is why youyanks love our comedians, as you are very cheesy, always, any of the cheese ball yanks in that film would have flopped it without a doubt. Fact.

I despise adverts, and yanks who really are just not funny, they are all cheesy.

The funniest film, but would have flopped without Marty Feldman. Cornballs as in Yanks, are cheesy, and the film was on the BBC so no adverts

So Viledamore, do you scare the horses? Or are you as gorgeous as me?

I reckon that Britain won the wars because of the BBC and not wasting time advertising every two minutes, just makes me hate yanks so bloody much, always wasting time, ignorance, inarticulate drivel spouting on and on about how a dry weave top sheet changed some unconvincing Hollywood clip on teethed crank, ruining everything and making me swear like a Docker at the silly cow. The film was held together by A British comedian and those cheese ball actors, who are totally up their a holes and lack irony, pathos, whit, would have flopped it without Marty. And I will try to explain why. Yanks are ignorant, big mouthed, cheesy, self absorbed bigots, crass, rude, loud, lack cognitive awareness and self consciousness. They are cheesy, hammy, vomit making stilted, bigoted know it alls. They are not funny. None. Hardy needed Laurel to get the performance in context with the actual realism.

That is why your best Directors where British. Hitch called actors cows. They needed herding. We British know when the party is over and work starts.

That is why we won the wars and studied at the school of self doubt. That violin is crap vtw. The red Golfredo Cappa thing. I wouldn't have it in the house, looks like a London bus spray painter had a go at the varnish.

2 hours ago, morgana said:

Yanks are ignorant, big mouthed, cheesy, self absorbed bigots, crass, rude, loud, lack cognitive awareness and self consciousness. They are cheesy, hammy, vomit making stilted, bigoted know it alls. 

We British know when the party is over and work starts.

Other than the gem Connery and another possible one in Rickman you have nothing to offer of value that we'll ever need.

I don't believe you and a lot of others over there know what real work is.  

On 5/31/2019 at 1:39 PM, morgana said:

This is a genuine Giuseppe?I'm confused now. Is this photo of a copy or of a genuine Messiah type original?

It is original small sized violin, I think it is about size of 1/4

1 hour ago, mendicus said:

It is original small sized violin, I think it is about size of 1/4

Please correct me if I am wrong but I thought that the violini piccoli were very small bodies with overproportional string length, their function was some kind of a travel violin for adults.

23 minutes ago, Michael Szyper said:

Please correct me if I am wrong but I thought that the violini piccoli were very small bodies with overproportional string length, their function was some kind of a travel violin for adults.

I don't know, but you are probably right.I meant LOB of Chardon is similar to LOB of 1/4 violin(but that may be wrong too)

On 5/31/2019 at 2:39 PM, morgana said:

This small violin is the equivalent of the 'Messiah' for Guarneri 'del Gesù'. It even surpasses the 'Messiah' in that the fittings, tailpiece, lower saddle, 3 pegs (at least), fingerboard are all original and the neck is still nailed in its original position with four nails. It is fully varnished including the neck. The only Stradivari in this condition, and one better, with the original bridge is the Tenor in Florence at the Accademia.

6 hours ago, Jeffrey Holmes said:

That's enough, even in jest.  Thank you.

Sorry Jeffrey, I was a bit emotional. I found out from doing my family tree and found out my GG grandfather was born in The English Channel in Iowa, he was Third Generation Cree and Walker. His Grandfather was William Walker, Born in Hudson Bay area AND I am George Walker Bush's 2nd cousin. Sorry but that is appalling. Not the Cree Indian obviously...

3 hours ago, Bruce Carlson said:

This small violin is the equivalent of the 'Messiah' for Guarneri 'del Gesù'. It even surpasses the 'Messiah' in that the fittings, tailpiece, lower saddle, 3 pegs (at least), fingerboard are all original and the neck is still nailed in its original position with four nails. It is fully varnished including the neck. The only Stradivari in this condition, and one better, with the original bridge is the Tenor in Florence at the Accademia.

varnished at the same shop

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2019 at 5:12 PM, uncle duke said:

Other than the gem Connery and another possible one in Rickman you have nothing to offer of value that we'll ever need.

I don't believe you and a lot of others over there know what real work is.  

Sean Connery, yep, have you seen Hell Drivers? A British sixties film with him in, Pat McGoohan, (The Prisoner. Number 6) AndThe Best Actor EVER! Welsh, of course. Sir Stanley Baker. What a man! He was real.

Look, I won't have that about work. Us Liverpudlians work bloody hard. There's always lazybones but they are scroungers. And they are everywhere. We built The Ships and the women of Liverpool work till they drop down. Get your facts straight before calling British people lazy.

I got a surprising chance to HEAR the Ole Bull Guarneri 'del Gesù' this weekend, it made a surprise visit to Ole Bull's home on Lysøen. I almost pity the violinist who got to play it, her own violin sounded dead after the 'del Gesù'!

On 6/1/2019 at 1:25 PM, Bruce Carlson said:

This small violin is the equivalent of the 'Messiah' for Guarneri 'del Gesù'. It even surpasses the 'Messiah' in that the fittings, tailpiece, lower saddle, 3 pegs (at least), fingerboard are all original and the neck is still nailed in its original position with four nails. It is fully varnished including the neck.

It's probably in such great shape because it was too small for anyone to play! :D

I think it a mistake to regard DG as in anyway unskilled.  He prioritized some items and not other. 

Particularly in late work it he'll often skip formally working the geometry in complicated decorative details.  

Except for pushing the curves extending the soundhole eyes further than the normal geometry can go, DG works just as all the other Cremona makers, everything as variations within the tradition.  Most of his choices are straight from Strad, Amati, and Guarneri family precedents.  

What a confident wonderful master.

To get into the spirit of copying del Gesu,  why not do what he did??

Wouldn't that be to draw some patterns and make a violin carefully as well as you could if you are young ?

When you are older and feeling bad or hardup for money,  make them more quickly as well as you can,  but don't agonize over super-precision.  As you speed up your work even faster,  perhaps you will get the "spirit" of what del Gesu did later on.

On May 28, 31 Heisei at 6:24 AM, uncle duke said:

Something else - how about when it was purfling making time?  Did he make his own or did he get them from another source?  What about installing the purfling.  Were the pieces already glued together or were they separate strips laid in dry, then glued together after the needed length was figured?  Over time this last method could turn out to be a time saver with decent results, if needed.

Roger Hargrave describes in the Biddulph book his conclusions from examining the originals. It seems that Guarneri made the purfling himself by glueing the strips together before he inserted them. 

On 5/30/2019 at 9:11 AM, DoorMouse said:

I recommend contacting Bruce Carlson regarding his excellent photo set of 1735 Chardon.
It's the best preserved example of DG's work and should give you a good sense of what the edgework and corners looked like pre-wear. 

58d433ff878d4_1735Chardonbelly.thumb.jpg.bb5b6e554944228099e0329a8d9c87a7.jpg

Are there more pictures of this available somewhere?  I'd like to see more of it.