Sign in to follow this  
finnfinnviolin

Source for good quality purfling- or dyed veneers

where do people buy their purfling? 

Does anyone have a source that has nice dark blacks, or even some ready dyed veneers that aren’t kind of grey looking like most commercial veneers are. 

Need to get round to dyeing and making my own! 

When I first set up on my own, I drove to the Funierfabrik (veneer factory) Sokup in Geddersdorf a few kilometers away from my shop. I went in and said, „excuse me, do you have 0,5mm thick beech veneer please?“ and the guy said „of course, how many „Kubik“ (cubic meters) would you like? Hardly dared say I would be happy with one leaf, and finished up buying some v nice birds eye maple to make the trip worthwhile.

https://www.forloversofwood.com/product/category/veneerlist/veneer/

A&M (not the Texas university system of the same name) is what we used at the Salt Lake school and I have continued to use it in lieu of making my own.  I'd rather spend that time making the instrument and I'd be surprised if players would notice the difference.

If you go for a few days to somewhere like Cremona for a Trienalle new making exibition and get a bit bored, you can go round the exibition and check who uses Rost  purfling. When you’ve done that, you can go around again, and treat it as a GEWA chin-rest promotion, by then it should be dinner time

2 hours ago, nathan slobodkin said:

Karen Rost , Germany

Same. I bought 50 strips a while ago and was pleased with the quality. Some difficulty bending but I have since improved and find it easy enough. The blacks are quite intense. 

Alternatively you could ask nicolo Amati, his purfling has intense, thin blacks. 

In regards to dying, I think Roger Hargrave might have written about it.

best of luck!

I use IVC purfling. If memory serves it is from Karen Rost. Old knowledge so not sure if it’s still true. Give them a call and they’ll tell you who their current supplier is.  I’m happy with the last batch I got from them. 

22 minutes ago, Jim Bress said:

I use IVC purfling. If memory serves it is from Karen Rost. Old knowledge so not sure if it’s still true. Give them a call and they’ll tell you who their current supplier is.  I’m happy with the last batch I got from them. 

Great, thanks good to know.... but $18 shipping on some $3 purfling.... ouch!!

29 minutes ago, finnfinnviolin said:

Great, thanks good to know.... but $18 shipping on some $3 purfling.... ouch!!

Promo code “Freeship” on orders $99 or more through May 27th. 

I have no affiliation with IVC other than being a happy customer.   That and I’m local, so I usually can just drop in and avoid shipping cost. 

If you want to buy thin veneers and make your own purfling both Berkshire Veneers and Certainly Woods in the US will sell single leaves. 

Karin Rost makes great purfling. However, I find shipping costs prohibitively high. You need to pool orders together. If not, buy IV's purling which is from Rost. If you decide to make your own, prepare to experiment and make mistakes. The big issue is to prevent delamination of the strips when heating and bending to fit into the plate grooves. Believe me. This is not trivial.