Sign in to follow this  
Regina

YE OLD VIOLIN W/MOTHER OF PEARL

I found an old violin in my grandmother's chest and it looks to be somewhat nice but needs restrung and needs the bow needs to be rehaired I don't know anything about violins sorry. I was wondering if anybody can tell me anything about this, I think I almost remember her telling me something about her father or her uncle and they lived in Creston West Virginia don't know where they were from she was born in 1906 it says inside of it ye old violin try me repaired by F. L. Mason in Columbus Ohio that's all it has in there here's some pictures. Thanks 

IMG_20190524_113150580.jpg

IMG_20190524_113909444.jpg

IMG_20190524_120819523.jpg

15587156483554416826362518151788.jpg

15587157129891383217323666566192.jpg

It's a strad.  I can tell by the mother of pearl inlay on the back.  I learned how to identify "not a fake" Strads in a recent post in this same message board.

Oops...my reply was incorrect.  I can only tell the difference between fake and "not fake" guarneris. 

Sorry about that.  To the OP...it might be a Strad...;)

It's not a Strad. It's a fancy/decorated trade instrument. It's pretty. If it sounds good - enjoy playing it.  If not, it would make a great decoration/ conversation piece.

Why do some labels call a violin Stad when it obviously isn't? Because the measurements used to make the instrument are likely taken from one of the authentic Strads.  So "Strad" refers to body style.

BTW - all the extant Strads are pretty much accounted for...

I might be wrong, but I'd think that if someone good was going to inlay a back, the pieces would be finely cut, not random busted shapes filled in with grout like a bathroom floor.

No - they all look like that..

A stained glass look?

Hello all. I'm a longtime lurker here, but I had to reply to this. My great-grandfather's fiddle, which I own, does have large, shaped mother-of-pearl pieces carefully inlaid on the back. Not the random bits of pearl set in a mosaic pattern as is commonly seen.
I have a newspaper clipping from 1937 in which my great-grandfather said the fiddle had been in his possession for 62 years, meaning he would have acquired it around 1875. That seems about right. Although he died before I was born, I did know most of his 8 children, all of whom lived to be well into their eighties and nineties. The eldest of his children remembered their Papa playing this fiddle when they were kids in the 1880s.
Over the years I have seen a few other fiddles with the same center inlay as mine (the late John Hartford had one), but none with the same upper and lower inlays as well as the double purfling. Yes, it's gaudy, but I love it!

fiddle_back.JPG

fiddle_upper_inlay.JPG

fiddle_center_inlay.JPG