Sign in to follow this  
i8bugs

Stainer Basket Case Project

51 minutes ago, i8bugs said:

Jacob is right in saying this is not a particularly terrifying repair, but being my first I was plenty nervous, especially when you hear those cracking sounds popping that top off! 

If you were in a military training unit the instructor would yell at you: Keep your s**** together!

Violin restoration is combat. If you run away by some cracking noises....:D

I had a similar case. Found it quite convenient to soak out the bass bar and use it again. Takes one or two days of keeping the paper towel moist.

IMG_2089.JPG

IMG_2110.JPG

IMG_2240.JPG

IMG_2293.JPG

IMG_2344.JPG

5 hours ago, Guido said:

I had a similar case. Found it quite convenient to soak out the bass bar and use it again. Takes one or two days of keeping the paper towel moist.

Nice restore job Guido!  
You've convinced me to at least try this.

10 hours ago, Andreas Preuss said:

Violin restoration is combat. If you run away by some cracking noises....:D

Must be why I'm attracted to this type of work. Did 27 in the military; a year in Somalia and a year in Afghanistan.
The cracking noises I hear now are just me getting out of bed.

I have soaked out period bass bars on baroque instruments, and refit them over crack studs on 18th C. instruments, where it was important for me to preserve all original parts, particularly when working for museums. I have even demonstrated this here on Maestronet. Doing it on a cheap Dutzendarbeit Stainer “copy” seems decidedly in the sector I would call “pissing around” and begs the question if one is earnings ones living or pursuing a hobby.

47 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

I have soaked out period bass bars on baroque instruments, and refit them over crack studs on 18th C. instruments, where it was important for me to preserve all original parts, particularly when working for museums. I have even demonstrated this here on Maestronet. Doing it on a cheap Dutzendarbeit Stainer “copy” seems decidedly in the sector I would call “pissing around” and begs the question if one is earnings ones living or pursuing a hobby.

I retired from a life of stress so I find a certain amount of pissing around enjoyable. Heck at my age if you can piss at all you are doing well.
My goal is to eventually build a fiddle suitable for Alison Krauss and give them to young people who would appreciate them. Building $40K violins is not in my future. My wife and I ran around in the bluegrass circuit for about 10 years; my wife fiddles and I play guitar.  We just got tired of doing the same songs over and over. At one particular fiddle contest a young girl had a "cheap" Stainer copy that sounded crazy amazing. She won her division and were I a rich man I would have offered her stupid money to buy that copy. 
I personally really like the Stainer design, as much as I like the person Jacob Stainer. Learning about the man and building his designs (I bought the Strad 1679 poster) is something I want to pursue. My motivation is to build one of those with that crazy amazing sound I heard 7 years ago. Should have bought that thing.

59 minutes ago, i8bugs said:

the person Jacob Stainer. Learning about the man and building his designs

Stainer is certainly a worthy subject of study. Here is a picture of me and my boy Leopold standing infront of his house in Absam a couple of years ago We will be going to visit for his 400th birthday again this summer. The so called "Stainer copies" (which have practically nothing to do with either "Stainer" or "Copy" are a diffferent matter. We had quite a detailed thread about (the real) Stainer some years ago here

Foto.JPG

You're in Columbus. A couple of suggestions. Go over to Bloomington and see what is going on withe IU violin shop. It was run for years by my friend Tom Sparks. He retired about a year ago but I have to assume that something is still there. Or closer, go to Nashville (not the one in Tennessee) and see if Bruce Taggart is around. Another old friend who has been building mandolins and violins for ages. Both nice guys and possibly willing to help.

2 hours ago, stringcheese said:

You're in Columbus. A couple of suggestions. Go over to Bloomington and see what is going on withe IU violin shop. It was run for years by my friend Tom Sparks. He retired about a year ago but I have to assume that something is still there. Or closer, go to Nashville (not the one in Tennessee) and see if Bruce Taggart is around. Another old friend who has been building mandolins and violins for ages. Both nice guys and possibly willing to help.

I met Tom Sparks a couple years ago we just stopped in his shop to see what he had for sale.  I'm sure if I go to one of the music stores in Nashville they can tell me how to reach  Bruce.

2 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

Stainer is certainly a worthy subject of study. Here is a picture of me and my boy Leopold standing infront of his house in Absam a couple of years ago We will be going to visit for his 400th birthday again this summer. The so called "Stainer copies" (which have practically nothing to do with either "Stainer" or "Copy" are a diffferent matter. We had quite a detailed thread about (the real) Stainer some years ago here

What a beautiful place!

4 hours ago, i8bugs said:

Did 27 in the military; a year in Somalia and a year in Afghanistan.

4 hours ago, i8bugs said:

I retired from a life of stress so I find a certain amount of pissing around enjoyable. Heck at my age if you can piss at all you are doing well.

Thank you for your service.  If you get bored with violins there may be an opening for guard tower duty in Djibouti.  

10 hours ago, uncle duke said:

Thank you for your service.  If you get bored with violins there may be an opening for guard tower duty in Djibouti.  

Thank you- I miss it. Never did guard duty though, pretty sure I wouldn't have lasted 27.

On 5/20/2019 at 11:15 AM, stringcheese said:

Tom is on a boat in the gulf of Mexico, or heck maybe on his way to Australia, as he said he might do. 

As to the IU violin shop, I have posted about it elsewhere and should really update that topic.