Sign in to follow this  
Violadamore

And meanwhile, down the hall from the violin auction.........

If I owned the Rothko, or any Rothko for that matter, I would have to hang it and have curtains around it. Not to protect it from UV, but to allow me to live in the same house with it.

Well - that's actually the way to go - historically. Back in the day the gentlemen retired to the den/smoking room after dinner and the host opened up the curtains surrounding a beloved painting, to reveal a...

*gasp*

...nude !!!! :ph34r:

So, nude, Sponge Bob, Rothko...all in good company...^_^

2 hours ago, duane88 said:

If I owned the Rothko, or any Rothko for that matter, I would have to hang it and have curtains around it. Not to protect it from UV, but to allow me to live in the same house with it.

Rothko's aren't all that challenging - try living with a de Kooning...

I have a friend who has a small one, given to his father as a gift of friendship from the painter. It comes out for parties, but otherwise lives in the dark. Too agitating.

I understand this stuff from an academic perspective, I just don't like it!

I don’t understand the appeal of spending so much money on a great painting. The most impressive piece of art I can remember is either the Albrecht Dürer rabbit Or the Salvador Dali portrait of Lincoln from the five dollar bill, which is just an astonishing piece of art. But how would I ever get $1 million worth of enjoyment from having either of those original pieces? How much do I have to look at them to make it worth $1 million( or five or seven or whatever)

Nah...

It seems to me that there are obvious similarities between the art world and the speculative value attributed to many violins.

The value of many paintings resides only in the mind or wallet of the beholder. And many buyers are not stupid and know that the ridiculous prices paid for such rubbish just reinforces that speculation.

Of course there are many great works of art and violins, and Claude Monet's haystack paintings are an example, so they are worth what people who appreciate their artistic merit are prepared to pay for them.

On 5/17/2019 at 4:20 PM, Rue said:

Well - that's actually the way to go - historically. Back in the day the gentlemen retired to the den/smoking room after dinner and the host opened up the curtains surrounding a beloved painting, to reveal a...

*gasp*

...nude !!!! :ph34r:

So, nude, Sponge Bob, Rothko...all in good company...^_^

Mix it all together in a convenient receptacle, and you get:

Nude.png.54b6ccccc60edfc30f03810eb210a86e.png

Which should be enough to run the menfolk back to socialize, or at least induce them to keep the curtains closed. :ph34r::lol:

2 hours ago, Violadamore said:

enough to run the menfolk back to socialize

Possibly exactly this was the intention of the artist, as a parody of stuff like nude Maya and the like. Sort of humour which doesn't reveal itself to everybody running for the White House, for instance:ph34r: (and someone is watching the voyeurist hidden in the corner).

3 hours ago, Violadamore said:

Which should be enough to run the menfolk back to socialize, or at least induce them to keep the curtains closed. :ph34r::lol:

...I just spit out my Diet Coke...:lol:

17 hours ago, Violadamore said:

Given we all know that you adore Picasso your disgust is quite understandable. :lol:

Tallenge-Nude-Green-Leaves-And-SDL443760806-1-5a14e.jpg.131af76f069facb9fd91048a23315edb.jpg

50 million dollars for a pastel picture by Francis Bacon that looks to be completed in two hours time. Crazy world. At first I was thinking that this  must have been a collection of his old essays and was surprised to see there is also a similar named abstract artist.

VdA, your picture looks German to me. 

Who's the artist ?

I do like a lot of modern art, for example this:

Leeward of the Island or 1.47 1947

Isn't this beautiful as well:

main_900.jpg?1543651480

or this:

F2.large.jpg?width=800&height=600&carousel=1

Only the first one is a painting, as you can tell. But all are abstract to our understanding. 

Agree that a lot of modern art is just trendy or rubbish

14 hours ago, hendrik said:

VdA, your picture looks German to me. 

Who's the artist ?

I do like a lot of modern art, for example this:

Leeward of the Island or 1.47 1947

Isn't this beautiful as well:

main_900.jpg?1543651480

or this:

F2.large.jpg?width=800&height=600&carousel=1

Only the first one is a painting, as you can tell. But all are abstract to our understanding. 

Agree that a lot of modern art is just trendy or rubbish

The latter two aren't abstract at all, they objectively mean something on their own.  Without consulting the internet at all, the second appears to me to be a turbulent shock wave collision zone in a nebula, and the third looks like a false-color electron micrograph of a biological specimen, probably bone (the more I stare at it, maybe neural tissue instead).   Beautiful, yes.  Devoid of inherent meaning?  No.  God doesn't fling meaningless splatters onto His canvasses.  :)

Oil painting is a visually stunning, powerful medium which will always surpass colour film and digital colour. The only trouble is that oil painting needs the skill of an artist.

Well - there's modern art that is truly awesome - if people took the time to learn about it.:wub: Then there's "no thought" modern art - just because you can doesn't mean you should - or it's totally derivative...<_<

And then there's the subset of the population who only likes art they are familiar with, or have been told is "good" - mostly realism of some sort...they don't really have their own opinion...:mellow:

And finally - we have animal art...:P

21 hours ago, Violadamore said:

The latter two aren't abstract at all, they objectively mean something on their own.  Without consulting the internet at all, the second appears to me to be a turbulent shock wave collision zone in a nebula, and the third looks like a false-color electron micrograph of a biological specimen, probably bone (the more I stare at it, maybe neural tissue instead).   Beautiful, yes.  Devoid of inherent meaning?  No.  God doesn't fling meaningless splatters onto His canvasses.  :)

Meaningless splatters - sometimes, but not here. Even Jackson Pollocks' splatters aren't meaningless.

I didn't like most modern art for many years. Till some of it gripped me, and over time I have come to appreciate a lot of it, not always enjoying it. 

Same with modern music. Didn't care much for Shostakovich. Until one day I heard a live performance of quartet nr 8 and it moved me to tears.

But some can be hard on the system. Like Ligeti, although it is brilliant. 

Modern music is all over the place,  like modern art. 

14 hours ago, Rue said:

Well - there's modern art that is truly awesome - if people took the time to learn about it.:wub: Then there's "no thought" modern art - just because you can doesn't mean you should - or it's totally derivative...<_<

And then there's the subset of the population who only likes art they are familiar with, or have been told is "good" - mostly realism of some sort...they don't really have their own opinion...:mellow:

And finally - we have animal art...:P

Exactly. And strong message of that art is "Do not eat an artist". :lol:
Back to OP, here is an article (by one of, I presume non-expert in Modern art) where is given a nice insight what one could feel about Rothko's painting, which BTW I admire very much. 

https://www.mayankja.in/blog/how-to-understand-art-a-mark-rothko-case-study

15 hours ago, romberg flat said:

Exactly. And strong message of that art is "Do not eat an artist". :lol:
Back to OP, here is an article (by one of, I presume non-expert in Modern art) where is given a nice insight what one could feel about Rothko's painting, which BTW I admire very much. 

https://www.mayankja.in/blog/how-to-understand-art-a-mark-rothko-case-study

From the article: " The art market isn't a reflection of who the best painter is. The highest priced painting doesn't mean the best painting. Buying and selling art is a business. "  IMHO, Rothko and those like him mastered the business of making stuff that sells at high prices and confuses the audience.  That doesn't make any of them fit to mention in the same breath with Ingres, much less masters like Titian or Michelangelo, or even makes them really "artists" at all.  To me, a nice piece of handmade "kitsch" that makes me smile beats a $100M Rothko multiform, and always will.