Sign in to follow this  
duane88

I like Roth violins, but...

Looks like a really nice example. People like them. I like the look of them but I never saw one that impressed me too much sound wise.

3 minutes ago, deans said:

Looks like a really nice example. People like them. I like the look of them but I never saw one that impressed me too much sound wise.

You have to go through them and remove the linseed oil that used to "seal" the inside, then they sound fine.

The best were made by well-trained German makers, and this IS a nice one, but that price is a shocker.

On second thought, perhaps it is Bruce Babbitt finally driving up the prices now that he has most of them!

36 minutes ago, duane88 said:

You have to go through them and remove the linseed oil that used to "seal" the inside, then they sound fine.

I don't really understand this. As far as I know, Roth violins are sought after by some players and seem to have a reputation as good workshop violins. If this seal you talk of ruined them, why would an experienced workshop be applying it in the first place?

How can it be removed, and if you feel it is possible to do so, how is the result quantified?

I wondered about the $19,200 price too. Most seem to go in the $6k to $10k range. But that one is a beauty though. 

What is the significance of the hand written “10” on the inside? Does that distinguish it from other 1920-30s Roth’s somehow?

1 minute ago, MarkBouquet clearsky said:

Another Tarisio item was the Andrea Guarneri viola, for which the high bidder was "microsoft." Is that an alias for David Fulton?

No. He has been in a selling mode for some time, and he already owns the Con Vitale. If you have the best, as was his orig intent, then why do you need another. He did tell me that he disliked being called a Microsoft Millionaire since he had already made his money by founding Fox.

1 hour ago, Wood Butcher said:

I don't really understand this. As far as I know, Roth violins are sought after by some players and seem to have a reputation as good workshop violins. If this seal you talk of ruined them, why would an experienced workshop be applying it in the first place?

How can it be removed, and if you feel it is possible to do so, how is the result quantified?

Those who work on violins know how to remove the linseed oil on the inside without damaging the instrument. I won't suggest how on an open forum where damage could be done to the instrument as well as the person attempting to effect the removal.

Sealing the interior of a violin with linseed oil isn't a new thing, but we have known for some time that it is not a good thing.

I thought the 1920s and earlier Roths tended to be more valuable...depending on the "level" of build.  I've seen a few made by him, supposedly, and they were gorgeous.  But don't think this is one of them...

Irrespective of any "estimate", this seems to me like a reasonable price for a beautiful violin, as exampled by the number of interested bidders. I remember when I had the opportunity to buy an E. H. Roth cello for $5,000, and  I still today regret I wasn't in a position to make the investment.

I dunno, that must be close to an auction record and it's not that special looking. it would need to sound amazing for me to spend that at auction on a Roth when I bet I could find a better Violin in a retail setting at that price or less with all the advantages of buying from a good dealer in terms of after sales service. I  say that as a confirmed lover of auctions, but I also know when not to push the bid now button!

• I'm with Duane on the price!:ph34r:

1 minute ago, Televet said:

it would need to sound amazing for me to spend that at auction on a Roth when I bet I could find a better Violin in a retail setting at that price or less with all the advantages of buying from a good dealer in terms of after sales service. 

That’s what I was thinking. At $19,000+, it brings some really nice violins into play. I’m sure that Roth is very nice. However, you can find a lot of nice violins when you get to that price point. 

As time goes by you will see all "good' violins go up in price, I feel barring some massive economic calamity that it is the nature of most things. There may come a day when they are arguing over the price of the "early millennial Chinese copy made for the American  market" 

If you want something that will go up in value, invest in your education or your 401(k)

If you want a musical partner for life, buy the instrument whose voice you fall in love with.

2 hours ago, AtlVcl said:

If you want something that will go up in value, invest in your education or your 401(k)

If you want a musical partner for life, buy the instrument whose voice you fall in love with.

100%