Sign in to follow this  
mysticpaw

LIQUID HIDE GLUE

Well for what it's worth, my very first attempt at this was done with that product, not because I didn't know better, but because i was chomping at the bit and my real glue was in the mail, so after all these years it's still together and functioning, and has had no case, just hanging from the ceiling with the occasional dusting, so it goes through some real temp/humidity swings....but I have heard of some nightmares with it, so, I'd stay away if you can just to play it safe

There are occasions when I want a glue that can be easily and completely removed with water, or other times when I want to glue a fixture or something and don't want to fire up the hot glue pot, so I keep some liquid hide glue around for those times (a different brand than shown).  I also have epoxy, white, and urethane glue around for various things... but I don't use any of them on violins.

1 hour ago, Don Noon said:

There are occasions when I want a glue that can be easily and completely removed with water, 

Sounds like it would be useful for spot gluing clamping blocks?

The additives (urea etc.) is said to make it more elastic and tougher to open (good fresh joint) but also more hygroscopic (thus reported falures in humid environment) and since it is liquid it has rather short shelf life after which it can be completely unpredictable.

4 hours ago, GeorgeH said:

How does it release when taking off a top?

Used straight, I think it is too strong and tough to allow the usual removal of a top with a knife.  And sweat would be a problem for the time that you don't want it to come off.  Summary: not a good idea.

I used it on my first violin 20 years ago, before I knew better. That violin sounds and plays very well, and is played daily, and exposed to all normal conditions. 

I’ve never had to repair anything on it, and it holds its tune. I hope I don’t ever need to remove the top.

18 minutes ago, Okawbow said:

I used it on my first violin 20 years ago, before I knew better. That violin sounds and plays very well, and is played daily, and exposed to all normal conditions. 

I’ve never had to repair anything on it, and it holds its tune. I hope I don’t ever need to remove the top.

Have you given much thought to fiddles in various environmental conditions, which could go way outside of your local environment? I've leaned a lot about fiddles from living in different climates, and having fiddles come in from various places.

Violadamore had the best answer: no

Get youself a 15$ wax-pot or something from ebay, and use hot hide glue instead.

3 hours ago, Okawbow said:

3 hours ago, David Beard said:

Creepy. :wacko:

Is a glue pot that difficult?

2 hours ago, David Burgess said:

Have you given much thought to fiddles in various environmental conditions, which could go way outside of your local environment? I've leaned a lot about fiddles from living in different climates, and having fiddles come in from various places.

Before I knew better I used that stuff, Sam Compton once wrote an article bout the total disaster that ensued,,,,,involving 8 violins 2000 miles from home.

The phrase "Before I knew better" usually indicates a change in behavior,, and that I don't do that any more, and most likely I do use a glue pot, and I don;t spend time considering any environmental conditions,,,because I know that good ol regular hide glue will cover all my bases.

Evan  Liquid hide glue Ex Expert