Sign in to follow this  
ClefLover

What do some of these tiny ferrule stamps mean?

I came across this picture of a ferrule included with an outfit on eBay.  Curious as to what some of these stamps mean.  I recognize the “925” silver stamp, the FXS shield and the Lyon insignia, but no idea of the other two.  Seller lists it as a French trade bow... never seen so many stamps on a bow before. A bit gaudy if you ask me.

3CED1BAA-69C6-4664-8F0D-FA05E555061C.png

I dont think they are french hallmarks. I used to collect sterling silverware and they are the hallmarks for English silver in my opinion.The cat indicates London silver and the circle is the year and in this case is between 1889 to 1949

23 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

What does the FXS mean?

Lyon is a city. Does that stamp refer to “made in Lyon” or to a particular company?

No idea... what especially gets me is the alien head and the circle/ring.  Maybe it’s one ring to rule them all, forged silver in the hellish depths of Lyon, by a Scientologist that is shielded by special effects (fxs)

From left to right:

FXS- Makers mark | Lion mark- London assay office mark for sterling silver| 925-Silver fineness mark|Cat- Assay office mark for London|Date letter mark

7 hours ago, ClefLover said:

I came across this picture of a ferrule included with an outfit on eBay.  Curious as to what some of these stamps mean.  I recognize the “925” silver stamp, the FXS shield and the Lyon insignia, but no idea of the other two.

For completeness, this group of marks is - I believe - called the "Full Traditional (UK) Hallmark", in which each individual mark contributes to the overall meaning. The last two, read from left to right, should be assay office and date letter.

It is described properly here, in full, if you are interested: http://registration.assayofficelondon.co.uk/hallmarking/uk-hallmarks

To hallmark the silver parts of any bow that has historic value is an act of vandalism.

Fortunately the person who does this seems to restrict himself to hallmarking crap.

12 minutes ago, martin swan said:

To hallmark the silver parts of any bow that has historic value is an act of vandalism.

Fortunately the person who does this seems to restrict himself to hallmarking crap.

Not wishing to judge, but it seems like an odd thing to want to do to any bow. Sort of makes me wonder if they have been tempted to brand the sticks "pernambuco" too...

The leopard's head (referred to as 'Lyon' above) means that the item was assayed in London. The date letter 'O' refers to 2013. Both look a bit dodgy to me, besides being irrelevant and ugly.

This is what it should look like:

hall.jpg.c9424a402fecaea6828f60c745cea8cf.jpg

Andrew

3 hours ago, martin swan said:

Yes, sound like the 3rd and a half circle of hell.  Suitable punishment.  

49 minutes ago, martin swan said:

As rudall says, these are most likely homemade assay marks too ...

I suppose I don’t see the point.  If it was some sort of deception to put these marks on there, why also brand it with the company name “FX Strings?”  

On 5/15/2019 at 3:38 PM, ClefLover said:

I suppose I don’t see the point.  If it was some sort of deception to put these marks on there, why also brand it with the company name “FX Strings?”  

He has the deluded impression that evrything made of silver and sold in the UK has to be hallmarked, i mentioned this on a thread years ago regarding the same person. It is only a requirement supposedly if an individual piece of silver is of a weight over 5gms. No individual part of a bows silver parts are over 5gms in weight so no reason to hallmark anything on a bow.

8 hours ago, MeyerFittings said:

Yes, but what does the "4of7" scribed on the pearl connote?

It's a Borg designation...

8 hours ago, MeyerFittings said:

Is this faux naif or do you really want to know? If so I have the answer ... :lol:

2 hours ago, fiddlecollector said:

He has the deluded impression that evrything made of silver and sold in the UK has to be hallmarked, i mentioned this on a thread years ago regarding the same person. It is only a requirement supposedly if an individual piece of silver is of a weight over 5gms. No individual part of a bows silver parts are over 5gms in weight so no reason to hallmark anything on a bow.

That requirement would only be on the original manufacturer though, wouldn’t it? Plenty of old sliver items items over that weight are sold everyday in antique shops without hallmarks.

All those hallmarks are just laughable and pointless, but in the world of the eBay buyer I’m sure it adds a feel good factor while getting fleeced.

9 hours ago, MeyerFittings said:

Haha, it page of 4 of 7 when scrolling through the listing photos

1 hour ago, Dave Slight said:

That requirement would only be on the original manufacturer though, wouldn’t it? Plenty of old sliver items items over that weight are sold everyday in antique shops without hallmarks.

All those hallmarks are just laughable and pointless, but in the world of the eBay buyer I’m sure it adds a feel good factor while getting fleeced.

Yes only new manufacture .