Sign in to follow this  
Anthony Panke

My violin is bleeding!

A while back I tried varnishing a violin in one huge coat. 

This is what happened...

448197D3-DC44-4357-BB57-4F55CFE615B3.thumb.jpeg.d12b09d901d45bb6ef94b72dde5b4dbc.jpegI’m cleaning it up now, and it easily comes off with turpentine. 

:P

I have a feeling that the varnish, which is slightly soft, was pushed into the surfaces when I removed the belly. Will check with chalk whether they fit once it’s clean. 

4 hours ago, JohnCockburn said:

also, looks like your rib and block gluing surfaces could do with a bit of work, judging by the varnish leakage...

Could have come through, and dribbled down from the ff holes.

3 hours ago, Anthony Panke said:

That’s what I think, and then it got pushed into the gluing surfaces with the knife

Only if the varnish was still liquid when you used the knife.

Looks to me like the glue joints here and there weren't good... some varnish leaked into the joint from the outside, and some leaked from the inside due to what poured in thru the F holes.

I’m hiding the body in the cellar until I clean off the bloodstains. Then I’ll sell it on the violin market (a bit like the black market, but sells violins)

:ph34r:

1 hour ago, Anthony Panke said:

I’m hiding the body in the cellar until I clean off the bloodstains. Then I’ll sell it on the violin market (a bit like the black market, but sells violins)

:ph34r:

Next time, apply a tourniquet to reduce life-threatening blood loss. Unless the life-threatening blood loss is from the head, in which case, a tourniquet around the neck may not be the ideal strategy.

Luckily there were no broken bones. The neck and head are firmly attached with no signs of trauma. 

On another note, I think surgeons would make excellent violin makers due to dexterity 

Consider taping a piece of paper or a bit of silk over the label and the whole bottom surface with very untacky tape. 3m painter's tape works but less tack if possible (because you have to snake it all out thru the ffs later). Save yourself popping the top off and the turpentine step with that ounce of prevention.

Good idea, but I no longer brush on thick coats, instead I apply a thin coat with the hand that feels touch dry in an hour and has 0 possibility of running. The amount of varnish I had to apply to get this much dripping was enormous. Imagine about 2 large  espresso cups (or equivalent, perhaps 1/3 of a drinks can) spread over one violin in one coat. It dripped so much, and didn’t dry in 48 hours uv light.

if I ever resort to brushing again, I will no doubt use this trick though