Sign in to follow this  
Strings100

Authentic Curletto Anselmo on ebay !

Folks,

Need your advise.There is a Curletto Anselmo violin on ebay with a certificate by Guiseppe Stefanini. Can anyone shed some light on it ? It apparently sells on Tarisio for $20k+ and the seller has opened the bid at 6750 with no bites so far.I have been looking to buy a pre war Italian violin by a renowned maker and maybe this might be the one. Any help is appreciated as I dont think anybody might bid and I could get it at the opening price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Certified-Italian-Violin-by-Curletto-Anselmo-1930/163687184755?hash=item261c843973:g:RV0AAOSwaRRcxRcE

If you were so certain of snapping this “bargain” up for the opening price, why would you register as a new member on one of the most popular violin forums, and draw lots of attention to it?

Has a whiff of promotion about it. Is it your violin?

hahah...knew this would be asked. I cant go to a dealer with pictures . And dont know enough to write in this forum. So just need your advise !

2 minutes ago, Wood Butcher said:

If you were so certain of snapping this “bargain” up for the opening price, why would you register as a new member on one of the most popular violin forums, and draw lots of attention to it?

Has a whiff of promotion about it. Is it your violin?

Of course ,..

Let’s just discuss the violin/certificate, better than waiting 24 hrs between posts. Is there any way to confirm a certificate that was written 32.5 years ago?

I am trying to look on an iPhone screen ..

The violin looks quite nice but I would expect a Curletto to have more splayed f-holes, and for the eye of the scroll to be higher ...

It’s a pretty unsaleable size, and without photos the certificate seems unhelpful.

I never heard of Stefanini as a respected authority. Maybe he made the violin :ph34r:

3 hours ago, Strings100 said:

Folks,

Need your advise.There is a Curletto Anselmo violin on ebay with a certificate by Guiseppe Stefanini. Can anyone shed some light on it ? It apparently sells on Tarisio for $20k+ and the seller has opened the bid at 6750 with no bites so far.I have been looking to buy a pre war Italian violin by a renowned maker and maybe this might be the one. Any help is appreciated as I dont think anybody might bid and I could get it at the opening price.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Certified-Italian-Violin-by-Curletto-Anselmo-1930/163687184755?hash=item261c843973:g:RV0AAOSwaRRcxRcE

Just for the record ...

24 minutes ago, martin swan said:

It’s a pretty unsaleable size, 

Regarding size (on any violin), at what size does it become too large where it diminishes the value? Do larger violins not play as well, or are they less desirable because they are simply not in some historical sweet spot for size? Thanks. 

2 hours ago, Strings100 said:

So just need your advise !

My advice would be to visit a reputable violin shop, where you can try many instruments at leisure, and have the possibility of a trial period before committing to buy.

I find it fascinating that the date on the certificate seems to be in nearly the same handwriting as the date on the violin's label.

If, as the listing says, "The makers violins sell consistently for $16,000+ at Tarisios," why dump it on ebay for half that?

“TANSTAAFL”

Are you familiar with that acronym? It means, “there ain’t no such thing as a free lunch.” If it is selling for a third of retail, there is a reason. Maybe it’s genuine but damaged, maybe it’s genuine but too big, maybe it’s fake, maybe it’s lots of things. Maybe you should go to a real honest to God violin shop and try their violins.