Sign in to follow this  
xraymymind

Books on varnish

Dear all,

i am planning on taking my first steps along the path of making my own varnish.

i wonder if anybody could recommend any good books on the topic that include potential recipes. I would love the Fulton book, but am unable to find a new, or indeed used copy!

Edited by xraymymind

My first experience with varnish  was a disaster. I tried doing a spirit varnish and I won't soon try it again. Michael Darnton said "Varnish is Evil". So I'm going to use his "dead easy recipe" that he uses.
http://www.darntonviolins.com/violinmagazine/book/1varnishing.pdf 
Scroll to the end where it mentions Cold Mastic Varnish.  

52 minutes ago, Thomas Coleman said:

Was it just too soft?

It needs driers, lots of driers for starters. Try it yourself and don't take my word for it. Some people claim success, but I never examined their violin with this varnish.

23 hours ago, xraymymind said:

I would love the Fulton book, but am unable to find a new, or indeed used copy!

Have you read about a Fulton method that was tried by a maestronet member named Seth?  Seems to me he wasted a lot of time trying the reducing the turpentine method for little or no return applied to wood.

Off topic somewhat-  the 3/4 c. of spirits of turpentine I set out in an open glass jar on May 1st has turned to a light yellow.  I've been swirling it around a few times per day only. 

I think I'll follow Heron-Allens/Chanot/Reades method of airing turps for two months instead of Mr. Fultons recommendation of 5 to 6 months  al the while waiting to see what Mr. Molnars next batch looks like.  

11 hours ago, Michael_Molnar said:

Cold Mastic Varnish. 

I wasted a fortune on mastic trying that. :angry:

Boy, mastic is expensive isn't it! I tried it once -- followed Michael Darnton's instructions exactly. The varnish turned out really well. Smelled nice also! I found it far too soft to use as a violin varnish however

On 5/12/2019 at 8:47 AM, xraymymind said:

Dear all,

i am planning on taking my first steps along the path of making my own varnish.

i wonder if anybody could recommend any good books on the topic that include potential recipes. I would love the Fulton book, but am unable to find a new, or indeed used copy!

Lost Secrets of Flemish Painting is a great book with recipes. 

"explores in detail the ways of preparing the various amber and non-amber varnishes listed in the ancient texts" 

https://www.alchemistmediums.com/products_book.php