Sign in to follow this  
stefan1

Il Cannone has arrived in Columbus, under heavy security

Recommended Posts

It is incredibly annoying that we saw the instrument for a grand total of about four seconds and then only from a distance. It is also incredibly annoying that they kept calling it “the Paganini violin”

He didn’t mention the name at all. Are these people just complete Philistines? If I were the mayor of Genoa I would call the TV station with some strong words.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

It is incredibly annoying that we saw the instrument for a grand total of about four seconds and then only from a distance. It is also incredibly annoying that they kept calling it “the Paganini violin”

He didn’t mention the name at all. Are these people just complete Philistines? If I were the mayor of Genoa I would call the TV station with some strong words.

The media always gets it right ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

It is incredibly annoying that we saw the instrument for a grand total of about four seconds and then only from a distance. It is also incredibly annoying that they kept calling it “the Paganini violin”

He didn’t mention the name at all. Are these people just complete Philistines? If I were the mayor of Genoa I would call the TV station with some strong words.

I'm planning on going to see it on Wednesday and Thursday. Is it really that much of a bust?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nick Allen said:

I'm planning on going to see it on Wednesday and Thursday. Is it really that much of a bust?

I guess it depends Nick.   I spent 3 hours staring at it today and taking probably 200 photos which ARE allowed.  Lighting is pretty good.  You can't use flash though.  I make new instruments.  At the moment I don't have too much interest in doing copies.  For me living close the the exhibition, it was very interesting and worth it. I don't know how it will immediately help my building.  Of course if I make a copy of the Cannone, I'll probably have more information than most people due to the the good quality photos.  Lots of interesting things I saw that you can't get from a poster, or even from the few photos floating around the internet.   If were in to doing a copy of of the Cannone, the visit would be indispensable. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nick Allen said:

I'm planning on going to see it on Wednesday and Thursday. Is it really that much of a bust?

Of course it’s worth seeing, I’m just disappointed that the reporters We’re so ignorant of the instrument itself that they didn’t know the name, the maker, or why the instrument was so special

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Joe Wiese said:

I guess it depends Nick.   I spent 3 hours staring at it today and taking probably 200 photos which ARE allowed.  Lighting is pretty good.  You can't use flash though.  I make new instruments.  At the moment I don't have too much interest in doing copies.  For me living close the the exhibition, it was very interesting and worth it. I don't know how it will immediately help my building.  Of course if I make a copy of the Cannone, I'll probably have more information than most people due to the the good quality photos.  Lots of interesting things I saw that you can't get from a poster, or even from the few photos floating around the internet.   If were in to doing a copy of of the Cannone, the visit would be indispensable. 

 

Can you post some photographs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I'll post some.  All those years of lurking  here, I can give back a bit.  Give me a day or two.  I have to get out to work.  Resize photos and figure out how to post but I'll get some up.  The back was a bit weak in lighting and with reflections. Probably the worst view.   Sides were pretty good.  Lighting was not good enough to get inside that scroll and capture the gouge marks, but you could see some visually.  Front was pretty good but near the upper F's lighting faded off a bit.  Top arch you could get but the back arch was pretty obscure due to the support bar holding the instrument in place.  I can tell already the color is not always the same in the photos as what I was seeing with the naked eye. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well,  Sorry to disappoint.  I'm not going to post photos.    I was at a meeting today about the Cannone.  It was gently and respectfully requested that the people attending do not post photos all around.  Use them only for private use.   I hate to get hopes up and then have to cop out but a lot of people went to a lot of trouble to bring that violin here and allow some people some up close views.  I know Genoa is very protective of it.  I respect that  and the people very much.  I feel it would be in very bad taste if I did so.   Sorry everyone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.