Sign in to follow this  
tango

Sanding betweeen spirit varnish coats

48 minutes ago, sospiri said:

May I enquire why you feel that way about decreased texture?

I can only speak for myself... I just finished a viola that has extremely fine growth (many early strads are like this -- the Archinto viola for example). I used a typical solvent free oil varnish with no sanding or polishing between coats -- the resulting surface texture on the belly is very subtle. Quite different from other instruments I've made with wider grain that results in what some call a 'ripple' or 'corduroy' effect - i.e. the summer growth swells - similar to what one sees on the Messiah strad or the Guarneri above

1 hour ago, sospiri said:

May I enquire why you feel that way about decreased texture?

Probably because I've been brainwashed by people who I have considered to be the world's leading experts. ;)

What's the argument for smooth, unless one is trying to copy a contemporary factory guitar, or a gym floor? The old Italian instruments, which are still considered to be the prime example to follow,  were not made that way.

2 hours ago, David Burgess said:

Probably because I've been brainwashed by people who I have considered to be the world's leading experts. ;)

What's the argument for smooth, unless one is trying to copy a contemporary factory guitar, or a gym floor? The old Italian instruments, which are still considered to be the prime example to follow,  were not made that way.

Easier to clean?:lol:

11 hours ago, Davide Sora said:

Easier to clean?:lol:

Easier to sell!

PS: actually, where I live you would have hard times selling Messie  - most folks would call it "nice woodwork but the varnish is amateur attempt".

34 minutes ago, HoGo said:

Easier to sell!

PS: actually, where I live you would have hard times selling Messie  - most folks would call it "nice woodwork but the varnish is amateur attempt".

The Messie is sorely in need of a good antiquing job too, to have broad appeal. ;)

I've often thought about how much fun it would be for a major orchestra player to take the most valuable violin in the world into a rehearsal, to see who calls it a piece of crap. :lol:

15 hours ago, Urban Luthier said:

I can only speak for myself... I just finished a viola that has extremely fine growth (many early strads are like this -- the Archinto viola for example). I used a typical solvent free oil varnish with no sanding or polishing between coats -- the resulting surface texture on the belly is very subtle. Quite different from other instruments I've made with wider grain that results in what some call a 'ripple' or 'corduroy' effect - i.e. the summer growth swells - similar to what one sees on the Messiah strad or the Guarneri above

Different textures are what they are in my opinion and every piece of wood is different. I don't see anything as good or bad just requiring different techniques for finishing without trying to make it look uniform.

15 hours ago, David Burgess said:

There is no argument. It is what it is. I don't try to scrape raised grain smooth or avoid narrow grain because it makes a smooth varnish texture. So it can be both rough and smooth on the same belly.

I like to see the spruce chattoyance and the rosin sparkling like crushed gemstones and you see this in the smoother areas. Why would I choose wood to avoid these features? they are beautiful.

56 minutes ago, sospiri said:

I like to see the spruce chattoyance and the rosin sparkling like crushed gemstones and you see this in the smoother areas. Why would I choose wood to avoid these features? they are beautiful.

Because once you are on level of Burgess  ;)  the paying and waiting  customers expect to see other things than you may happen to like :-).

Like in a parody about Flatt and Scruggs telling journalist... "we really hated playing the xyz song first, but after a million records sold we somehow learned to love it..."

2 minutes ago, HoGo said:

Because once you are on level of Burgess  ;)  the paying and waiting  customers expect to see other things than you like :-).

Like in a parody about Flatt and Scruggs telling journalist... "we really hated playing the xyz song first, but after a million records sold we somehow learned to love it..."

But if I could just touch the hem of his garment....