Sign in to follow this  
PhilipKT

What does this symbol mean?

I cannot remember seeing this symbol before, and would love insight from the crowd. This is a Haydon string trio)international edition) and I’m referring to the dotted line above the note two measures before F.

It’s possible that it is a reminder that it’s measured 16th notes instead of tremolo, That seems unnecessary, it  could also be a reminder that if you’re slowing down approaching the Fermata, To keep the same pace in the 16th notes, which doesn’t seem logical to me. What do you guys think?

276EFB9A-94AB-418D-B0C3-69FD0FA313FE.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Karloklima said:

Measured tremolo, 8 16ths, 8 dots written above the note. 

I considered that, but isn’t that unnecessary? The two slashes through the stem already indicate that it’s measured so an additional symbol should not be necessary.

Editors take wide license when adding superfluous directions. Karloklima is correct; it means eight equal 16th. notes.

2 hours ago, AtlVcl said:

Editors take wide license when adding superfluous directions. Karloklima is correct; it means eight equal 16th. notes.

Ok, but I’m correct too in that it is superfluous. Thanks for the insight. I’ve never seen it before.

Maybe inauthentic but not at all superfluous. The dots indicate that the notes are to be played spiccato, off the string.

6 hours ago, matesic said:

Maybe inauthentic but not at all superfluous. The dots indicate that the notes are to be played spiccato, off the string.

What if AtlVcl chose to use detache bowing instead of spiccato.  Would anyone be able to hear or see a difference?

The difference would certainly be audible. I'm assuming the tempo is fast enough to enable the bow to bounce, so a disconnected detache stroke while remaining on the string would probably be impossible anyway. Whether it's what Haydn expected to hear is anyone's guess, but for musical effect I'd be inclined to play it spiccato even if the dots hadn't been present