Sign in to follow this  
Suzyq1984

Is this viola really 108 years old?

I inherited this viola from my mother dont know much about it. Would sorta like to know how much it's worth and how to sell it since I cannot play anymore... 

Susan

20190504_161323.jpg

20190504_160940.jpg

20190504_160933.jpg

20190504_160925.jpg

20190504_160959.jpg

20190504_160949.jpg

20190504_161011.jpg

20190504_160852.jpg

20190504_161006.jpg

20190504_160902.jpg

20190504_161018.jpg

20190504_160857.jpg

20190504_160911.jpg

20190504_160908.jpg

If it is real it is worth quite good money.  It looks like it has nice fittings and like it has been well looked after.  The date on the label is within the maker's lifetime. It certainly looks at least interesting much better than the usual.  I am certain some much better educated and skilled will chime in.  If you could let us know where you are we may be able to send you to a reliable expert who will treat you well. 

Yours Respectfully,

Dwight

DLB

1 hour ago, Janito said:

The bridge appears to have the dimensions of a brick.

My mother was a concert violist for the Wisconsin, Madison and Chicago symphony orchestras..... so get I doubt it's a "BRICK".

6 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

I would presume that it is a fairly recent Instrument with a fake label

Definitely not a Marchetti or Italian - I agree with Jacob that it's a recent instrument.

1 hour ago, martin swan said:

Definitely not a Marchetti or Italian - I agree with Jacob that it's a recent instrument.

I was afraid of that.  Chinese?

DLB

Hi Suzyq;

I've seen a good number of Marchetti violins and a few 'cellos, but only one viola I can recall. The viola I saw did not resemble the one in your photos. 

I believe Tarisio also has a photo of one on their website?

Because of the angles, I can't tell much more than that by the images it appears to be a good deal younger than 108. 

If you live somewhere near a reliable appraiser, the best way to solve the mystery is to have them examine it personally.

Good luck!

The only wonkiness I can see is around the upper right corner, and that's an optical illusion caused by a loss of varnish.

The instrument has obviously been played - the wear to that corner seems real and the grease on the fingerboard also - but for me it's a modern instrument (by which I mean post 1950), slightly more likely to be Reghin than Chinese, and I wouldn't die of shock if it was something from Bubenreuth that's earlier. Personally I haven't seen anything from over 50 years ago (pre-1975) with this kind of scroll chamfer or with an "aesthetic" ebony collar on the button ... but if the OP's mother played it over 50 years ago that's the only possibility isn't it?

3 hours ago, Larry F said:

I would not not be surprised if that was an American made instrument with a  Sitka top,  it has a lot of bear claw that is typical of some pieces, also seen in Douglas Fir.  The back also has a flame pattern that looks like some figured American maple of the softer variety I've seen, and even used at times.  The undercoat and varnish look typical of  American instruments,  which have brownish wood to begin with,  get some kind of tea or coffee based stain, and then are finished with a shellac based varnish with a lot of natural yellow in it.     Interesting . . . and pure idle speculation.  I'll repeat what others say-take it to a reputable shop that can appraise it.  

Yes, to me the top material and the varnish is what screaming something is not quite right. I think that if the OP's story is true, that it was most likely an american forgery from the 60's 70's , a period in time when it would have been much easier to get away with it, and that someone could easily walk around for 50 years with a fake and not know it as there would not be anything like the internet to verify it, just local "dealers" and their say so, particularly the one it was bought from.

But boy that sure looks like Sitka to me which would pretty much x out the "realness" 

4 hours ago, Larry F said:

I would not not be surprised if that was an American made instrument with a  Sitka top,  it has a lot of bear claw that is typical of some pieces, also seen in Douglas Fir.  The back also has a flame pattern that looks like some figured American maple of the softer variety I've seen, and even used at times.  The undercoat and varnish look typical of  American instruments,  which have brownish wood to begin with,  get some kind of tea or coffee based stain, and then are finished with a shellac based varnish with a lot of natural yellow in it.     Interesting . . . and pure idle speculation.  I'll repeat what others say-take it to a reputable shop that can appraise it.  

24 minutes ago, jezzupe said:

Yes, to me the top material and the varnish is what screaming something is not quite right. I think that if the OP's story is true, that it was most likely an american forgery from the 60's 70's , a period in time when it would have been much easier to get away with it, and that someone could easily walk around for 50 years with a fake and not know it as there would not be anything like the internet to verify it, just local "dealers" and their say so, particularly the one it was bought from.

But boy that sure looks like Sitka to me which would pretty much x out the "realness" 

It looks like Sitka to me too, and I agree with the rest from both of you as well.  To me it looks to be 20th. Century American.  :)

8 hours ago, Jeffrey Holmes said:

Hi Suzyq;

I've seen a good number of Marchetti violins and a few 'cellos, but only one viola I can recall. The viola I saw did not resemble the one in your photos. 

I believe Tarisio also has a photo of one on their website?

Because of the angles, I can't tell much more than that by the images it appears to be a good deal younger than 108. 

If you live somewhere near a reliable appraiser, the best way to solve the mystery is to have them examine it personally.

Good luck!

All you doubters are wrong. Had it looked at today it's real.

28 minutes ago, Suzyq1984 said:

All you doubters are wrong. Had it looked at today it's real.

Glad you followed my advice (with that attitude, it's probably the last you'll get from me), but until it were to pass scrutiny of my own examination, I'll remain skeptical.

11 minutes ago, Jeffrey Holmes said:

Glad you followed my advice (with that attitude, it's probably the last you'll get from me), but until it were to pass scrutiny of my own examination, I'll remain skeptical.

With what attitude? I was sort of insulted by some of the things that were said by the members of this forum. Not very friendly at all. So if I came off rude I'm sorry was definitely not meant to be that way.

22 minutes ago, Suzyq1984 said:

With what attitude? I was sort of insulted by some of the things that were said by the members of this forum. Not very friendly at all. So if I came off rude I'm sorry was definitely not meant to be that way.

You quoted me. Were you insulted by my comments? I was unaware I said anything insulting about you or your instrument.  I simply stated my honest opinion... which unless my mind were changed by personally examining the instrument, will remain my opinion.