Sign in to follow this  
Adri

Id violin bow

Hello,

recently I tried this amazing bow, it plays really good and i think it has a good condition. They say it is a Knopf, what do you think? It has no stamp

I’m a violin player and i’m looking for a nice bow for playing

Thank you!!

C2807AF2-6422-4FDC-A356-46E5403554B0.jpeg

E495D488-9A0F-4E2C-A303-2426D87C102B.jpeg

6D662765-B062-45BE-9C1B-9E700A493935.jpeg

6069FE94-8AA8-495C-A90A-4B556765C7B9.jpeg

It's a good silver mounted(?) Markneukirchen bow (the adjuster most probably later, because of the "french" double ring collar), but it could be made by any of the hundreds of bow makers from this place. The head doesn't look refined enough to be made by a first class maker IMO. Unfortunately there's a certain tendency to certify every better-than-average Saxon bow as a Knopf, even by some experts.

10 minutes ago, Blank face said:

It's a good silver mounted(?) Markneukirchen bow (the adjuster most probably later, because of the "french" double ring collar), but it could be made by any of the hundreds of bow makers from this place. The head doesn't look refined enough to be made by a first class maker IMO. Unfortunately there's a certain tendency to certify every better-than-average Saxon bow as a Knopf, even by some experts.

Thank you for the quick answer!!! Hopefully i asked you... because i was excited about it

1 hour ago, Blank face said:

Markneukirchen bow (the adjuster most probably later, because of the "french" double ring collar)

Don't you think also that the adjuster could be original and the whole bow later? 

Some of the German bows in music houses' catalogs from the 1930's have double rings. 

Double ring "french style" collars appear from the late 19th century in Markneukirchen, the U-channeled collars were used till ca. 1920 as I'm informed. The frog with the big eye in a ring is a 19th century style, usually not to find at 20th century bows anymore. So there's a possiblility that the bow is from the late 19th when both styles were present. But considering wear and oxidation being less at the button than at the frog's metal parts the adjuster button seems to be significant later in my eyes.

44 minutes ago, Blank face said:

Double ring "french style" collars appear from the late 19th century in Markneukirchen, the U-channeled collars were used till ca. 1920 as I'm informed. The frog with the big eye in a ring is a 19th century style, usually not to find at 20th century bows anymore. So there's a possiblility that the bow is from the late 19th when both styles were present. But considering wear and oxidation being less at the button than at the frog's metal parts the adjuster button seems to be significant later in my eyes.

Thanks again for the info! The bow has 65 grams, it’s normal? Do you think the bow could be a workshop knopf? The adjuster it’s original and the button it’s later for sure!! This is what it says on the certificate. I believe the certificate was made by schmidt... i will ask to be sure. anyone know who is? Which expertise of german bow are the best? Grunke? 

40 minutes ago, Adri said:

The bow has 65 grams, it’s normal?

At the higher end of normal.  But since you like the way it plays, no problem. Its at the range where it might be brought up as an issue at resale

If it's 65 gr. with a metal (wire) lapping I would probably replace it with thread, would save 4 gr. or more. Usually this old Saxon pernambuco bows are more light weighted, it could be meant as a viola bow also.

"Workshop of Knopf" sounds a bit speculative, at least such an attribution should say of which particular Knopf, because they are usually different and can be separated. Or it just means "we don't have a clue who made it".

Grünke surely would be the person to ask.

5 hours ago, martin swan said:

If the certificate is by Hans Karl Schmidt then you know everything already.

Recently these certificates include a "Haftungsausschluss", meaning something like that he doesn't feel responsible for any collateral damage.<_<