My mother recently passed and I inherited this viola. I dont know much about it and would like to know its value. 

20190504_160940.jpg

20190504_160933.jpg

20190504_160925.jpg

20190504_160959.jpg

20190504_160949.jpg

20190504_161011.jpg

20190504_160852.jpg

20190504_161006.jpg

20190504_161323.jpg

20190504_160902.jpg

20190504_161018.jpg

20190504_160857.jpg

20190504_160911.jpg

20190504_160908.jpg

Edited by Suzyq1984
Typos

1 hour ago, Yatlee124 said:

Better check with professionals like tarisio or bromptons. They are honest. 

I believe this was thread was started twice...  here is the one that received responses (though she didn't hear what she wished to).  I see nothing dishonest in the member's responses (a number of whom are professionals), but of course the owner is welcome to send out photos to whoever she wishes.  Your suggestions of two auction houses are certainly valid.

https://maestronet.com/forum/index.php?/topic/342623-is-this-viola-really-108-years-old/&tab=comments#comment-845290

Since you mentioned Tarisio, here are a few views of a Marchetti viola from their site.  What do you think?

l4247top.jpgl4247head.jpgl4247back.jpg

I just read the entire original thread and was mildly surprised that I had contributed to it myself… Well, I didn’t contribute, so much as I commented. Big difference.

I am curious as to what is going on here, because Suzy has had ample time to show her viola to real people who know what they’re talking about, and has without doubt received far more information about it, from people inches away instead of at Internet distance, than is possible here, especially with the same photos as were shared in May.

I still think it is an attractive fraud( Not “forgery” thank you, Martin) and I’d like to know what it IS rather than reviving a chat about what it isn’t.

8 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

I just read the entire original thread and was mildly surprised that I had contributed to it myself… Well, I didn’t contribute, so much as I commented. Big difference.

I am curious as to what is going on here, because Suzy has had ample time to show her viola to real people who know what they’re talking about, and has without doubt received far more information about it, from people inches away instead of at Internet distance, than is possible here, especially with the same photos as were shared in May.

I still think it is an attractive fraud( Not “forgery” thank you, Martin) and I’d like to know what it IS rather than reviving a chat about what it isn’t.

The varnish is rather typical. It looks a bit more orange in real life but turns green-ish in (some) photos.

I noticed dozens of these flooding ebay in Germany a few years ago (don't know if its still ongoing). They ALL had modern Italian labels and came from further East. They must have come to Berlin by the truck load.

9 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

With the greatest respect, there are plenty of "real people" here who know what they're talking about, and who don't need the thing in their hands to immediately know what it is and isn't. You avail yourself of these people's knowledge on a regular basis, so I know you must believe this too ;)

4 hours ago, martin swan said:

With the greatest respect, there are plenty of "real people" here who know what they're talking about, and who don't need the thing in their hands to immediately know what it is and isn't. You avail yourself of these people's knowledge on a regular basis, so I know you must believe this too ;)

Oh absolutely. I have great respect for those who know here. But knowing and seeing in person is always a bit better than knowing and only seeing online.

45 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

Oh absolutely. I have great respect for those who know here. But knowing and seeing in person is always a bit better than knowing and only seeing online.

I think I grazed that subject in the previously linked thread.  Archival quality photos are certainly superior than those taken and presented at weird angles... but still, if one knows the working style of a maker and (even poor) photos show an absence of those details, one can determine the possibility that an instrument has little chance of being authentic to that author.

Several members commented on what it might be.  Can't argue with those who presented their observations, but honestly it's not the kind of instrument I pay a lot of attention to, so I did not offer an opinion on what it might be...  just what I believed it not to be.  I'd need to see it in person to see if I could go any further.

Especially those who are inexperienced in our industry and have inherited a loved ones instrument often tend to hold out hope for positive reinforcement that they own a nice Italian treasure.  Rare.  Some of these same people shop around for opinions until they get one that encourages them, or they've been hammered enough and give up.

As far as the internet thing goes, Charles Beare once told me that people will start recognizing that you know what you're talking about when your beard turns gray... trouble is that from where you sit you can't tell what color my beard is... and I actually might just be a schnauzer who knows how to work a keyboard!

22 minutes ago, Jeffrey Holmes said:

trouble is that from where you sit you can't tell what color my beard is...

so who is that handsome fellow in your profile photo with the gray beard?  :lol::lol:

Although seeing an instrument in person for examination is obviously the best, one can more often than not, tell from photographs if one can be bothered having it brought around to look at or not.

2 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

Although seeing an instrument in person for examination is obviously the best, one can more often than not, tell from photographs if one can be bothered having it brought around to look at or not.

Agreed

1 hour ago, Jeffrey Holmes said:

I think I grazed that subject in the previously linked thread.  Archival quality photos are certainly superior than those taken and presented at weird angles... but still, if one knows the working style of a maker and (even poor) photos show an absence of those details, one can determine the possibility that an instrument has little chance of being authentic to that author.

Several members commented on what it might be.  Can't argue with those who presented their observations, but honestly it's not the kind of instrument I pay a lot of attention to, so I did not offer an opinion on what it might be...  just what I believed it not to be.  I'd need to see it in person to see if I could go any further.

Especially those who are inexperienced in our industry and have inherited a loved ones instrument often tend to hold out hope for positive reinforcement that they own a nice Italian treasure.  Rare.  Some of these same people shop around for opinions until they get one that encourages them, or they've been hammered enough and give up.

As far as the internet thing goes, Charles Beare once told me that people will start recognizing that you know what you're talking about when your beard turns gray... trouble is that from where you sit you can't tell what color my beard is... and I actually might just be a schnauzer who knows how to work a keyboard!

It sounds as if you’re saying that if the photograph is good enough then an examination of those photographs would be equal to examining the instrument in person. I’m not going to disagree, because I don’t have any experience or skill in the subject, but it sure seems as if in person is always better than photographs, regardless of how good the photographs are.

( I just read Jacob’s comment, which clarified Things for me. Thank you both very much.)

Edited by PhilipKT
Addendum

25 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

I will accept that, thank you

1 hour ago, PhilipKT said:

It sounds as if you’re saying that if the photograph is good enough then an examination of those photographs would be equal to examining the instrument in person. I’m not going to disagree, because I don’t have any experience or skill in the subject, but it sure seems as if in person is always better than photographs, regardless of how good the photographs are.

( I just read Jacob’s comment, which clarified Things for me. Thank you both very much.)

I think you got it already, but no.... not equal to... but good enough to determine if it's likely or improbable that it's what is being suggested.

5 minutes ago, Jeffrey Holmes said:

I think you got it already, but no.... not equal to... but good enough to determine if it's likely or improbable that it's what is being suggested.

Right. Yes I understand you.

Several years ago I sent some photos of a Scarampella cello to Tarisio and they replied with a polite dismissal. However, the scroll and neck had been replaced, so what I sent was a scroll completely unrelated to Scarampella.

it turned out to be legitimate enough to sell at auction as a “probable” but I always laugh at the memory that I sent photos of the one part of the cello that wasn’t original to the cello.