Violin Labelled with signature Carlo Chericoni - Pisano, fece in Massa 1940

11 minutes ago, Delabo said:

Looks to be be a nice violin.

Have you got a picture of the label ?

There does not seem to be much about him on the internet other than he worked in the Giuseppe Ornati style.

Yes I couldn’t find a lot bar a few auction prices . 

12 minutes ago, martin swan said:

Chericoni : http://www.sothebys.com/en/auctions/ecatalogue/2007/musical-instruments-l07252/lot.146.html

I'm afraid what you have looks like a relabelled MK violin to me.

You are forgetting the principal characteristic of a "soloist instrument" is a reliable certificate!

http://fieldviolins.com/stringed-instruments/carlo-chericoni-fece-a-pisa-lanno-1937-3/1031/

yes il have to Get it certified. 

20 minutes ago, martin swan said:

OK so they are both red ...

Dmitry Gindin does online appraisals for $50. Let us know what he says.

This don’t look right ! I’ve got this violin on loan I haven’t bought it yet . 

BD22EBE8-D77D-4867-BACC-6B92285BC082.jpeg

1 hour ago, Larry F said:

Probably downloaded the wrong scroll off the website as they are completely different, even the strings.  At any rate once again- no label can be trusted if it has an Italian name.  Is this fiddle coming from Hanover by any chance?

Yes the scroll was completely different that’s my point mine must be a fake . Or less likely the ones I’ve found online are fakes God knows . 

https://m.lauritz.com/en/auction/4-4-violin-label-carlo-chriconi/i4992696/

Why did you post photo's of a different violin? I'm super confused now! The one at lauritz is from markneukirchen. The first one posted is considerably better but not good enough. The violin Martin pointed out at Sotheby's is very nice actually for an amateur maker! I wouldn't be surprised if his work got upgraded to something better and currently certified as such.

The Sotheby's example looks very close to a first class certified instrument by this maker I saw many years ago, or maybe it's even the same, assuming that he didn't make a lot.  I would take this as the only reliable reference example.

His label is reproduced in the Jalovec book, so very easy to copy and I'm betting that there are a million of fakes labelled as Chericonis out there, just because hardly many people have seen a real one ever.

45 minutes ago, chrissweden said:

Why did you post photo's of a different violin? I'm super confused now! The one at lauritz is from markneukirchen. The first one posted is considerably better but not good enough. The violin Martin pointed out at Sotheby's is very nice actually for an amateur maker! I wouldn't be surprised if his work got upgraded to something better and currently certified as such.

Was just trying to find examples to compere with the violin I originally uploaded . Yes it looks far nicer than the one I uploaded . 

24 minutes ago, martin swan said:

Chericoni was a pupil of Ornati, one of the most refined of modern makers.

if the notion that he was an amateur maker comes from Henley then it’s just another in a long list of reasons to chuck your copy in the bin!

Hamlyn and Jalovec say basically the same thing as Henley. Banker and violin maker. Neither mention his teachers.

Jalovec is just lifted from other inaccurate sources. What is Hamlyn?

the trouble with all these “dictionaries “ is that the writers have rarely seen any genuine instruments.

i think the Sothebys example could only be a follower of Ornati. But then of course you have to have seen genuine Ornatis ...

It looks a lot like the violin advertised as a Chericoni at "Field Instruments", although that one is not based on a Guarneri model. If the OPs violin was fake, then it would cast doubt on that one as well if we take the Sothebys violin as a reference.

Chericoni is said to have been a bank manager who took up violin making, and as such it is very likely his models would differ from each other as he experimented. It is not unknown for amateurs to receive instruction in making violins from professional luthiers such as Ornati.

Is there anything that points to the OP violin  as being German and not Italian ?

Sorry, Paul Hamlyn is the publisher of Jalovec's "Italian Violin Makers." "Karel Jalovec's" name is worn off the spine of my book! :lol: The other Jalovec book I looked in was the "Encyclopedia"

Jalovec's "Encyclopedia" has three Chericoni labels pictured.