Sign in to follow this  
Bruce Carlson

Paganini's Cannon coming to Columbus Ohio

For those of you planning to see The Cannon you can leave your flashlights at home. I had the chance to visit Sunday and after being told to turn off my light  a discussion with the museum staff said their agreement was to not allow light of any kind. But perhaps as the week goes on they can be persuaded otherwise.

On 5/7/2019 at 7:40 AM, nathan slobodkin said:

0.0001% happier about their treatment over the years.

No one who should be happy is any happier -- these things never come to a public vote, it's always a decree.

3 hours ago, David Pope said:

For those of you planning to see The Cannon you can leave your flashlights at home. I had the chance to visit Sunday and after being told to turn off my light  a discussion with the museum staff said their agreement was to not allow light of any kind. But perhaps as the week goes on they can be persuaded otherwise.

looking forward to seeing photos from those who go! there are many cameras that can take excellent photos in low  light - my fuji x100 for example can practically see in the dark. If visitors don't have a good camera perhaps convince a friend to who has one to join you!

6 hours ago, David Pope said:

David, I have changed that rule which the museum evidently got elsewhere, a little led light is fine. You can also take photographs. No tripods. Any UV light source is obviously not allowed. Sorry you had trouble. If you're nearby make a second trip. 

Bruce

Thanks Bruce, unfortunately I’m not close enough to be able to make another trip but it was good to see the violin again anyway. It was nice to concentrate on just one del Gesu instead of the twenty five in New York in ‘94.

At the Columbus art museum there is a Rubens painting positioned behind Il Cannone so that, at the exact right angle, Christ's reflected image appears on the back of the instrument as though it grew there. Definitely an amusing shot I would try to get myself if I could visit this violin in its very temporary habitat. No doubt a treat seeing the Rubens in person too. I didn't know Ohioans were such heavy hitters art wise, wish I could be there this week...

It was very busy when I was there. I did manage to snap a few pictures between onlookers however I dont know if public pics would be appropriate. 

14 minutes ago, Jwillis said:

It was very busy when I was there. I did manage to snap a few pictures between onlookers however I dont know if public pics would be appropriate. 

If you notice the comments above from the curator Bruce Carlson, he says that pics are ok under certain lighting conditions. I think you are OK.

11 hours ago, Jwillis said:

Apparently not - now where did I read they asked pics NOT be posted publicly, and only be for personal use? Although I don't know how they can enforce that...

4 minutes ago, Rue said:

Apparently not - now where did I read they asked pics NOT be posted publicly, and only be for personal use? Although I don't know how they can enforce that...

Ask your lawyer.

22 hours ago, Michael_Molnar said:

Ask your lawyer.

Well, I'd have to get one first - and then I don't know if they 'd know - USA laws are likely different from Canadian laws...blah blah blah....^_^

40 minutes ago, Rue said:

Well, I'd have to get one first - and then I don't know if they 'd know - USA laws are likely different from Canadian laws...blah blah blah....^_^

If you don't have good legal advice, why test the laws? :)

I’m going to disagree.  Though there was a lot of narration over the other recording, she played on the lower strings much more and that’s where the qualities of a well adjusted good sounding instrument really shine, and especially the particular qualities of Guarneri violins I’ve heard and and played.

While, yeah, it does sound good in the videos... it's being played alone, in a large room, with extremely hard surfaces everywhere and echoing like mad.  I don't think it's possible to determine what the instrument does or doesn't sound like from this kind of recording, other than that it doesn't seem to do anything exceptionally bad.  I'd like to hear a few other violins played under these same conditions for comparison (especially one of mine).

25 minutes ago, Bill Merkel said:

At 7:40 it sounds exactly like a flute.  And not a bad one at that.

I thought the violin sounded like a small cello in concert. Very powerful and nasal sound, especially on the D and A. Could have been the playing technique, though. 

Another video of Joanna. https://www.facebook.com/NBC4Columbus/videos/661076627686953/

Unfortunately, the audio is coming from only one speaker. Did anyone else hear the concert, thoughts? My daughter and I were in awe. The first time since I don't know when the house was completely sold out in Columbus Ohio of all places. A wonderful evening, It would have been nice to have a baroque piece on the program. She pulled off Paganini's 5th Caprice in front of 2,279 people. Thanks, Bruce and all who made this thing happen.