Sign in to follow this  
Dwight Brown

This Viola is Going Home With Someone!

The eggs were yummy...no chickens were harmed in the undertaking...

6 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

I own two Gillet bows and love them both. One I bought at Tarisio for about $6500, the other I bought from the widow of the owner for about twice as much(but still under retail) Paul Childs thinks the auction purchase is the better bow( I prefer the other’s playability) but valued them both about the same, which is comfortably above the higher price I paid. A Gillet isn’t the same as a Guarneri but experiences like that led me to suggest that an auction price would be less than a private sale.

I have a Gillet bow as well. It is frighteningly fabulous.

2 hours ago, MANFIO said:

Is this the viola that was in exhibition in the Royal College of Music in London? Here a photo I took from it some years ago, the knots are in the same place.

217582_2843548623873_759107152_n.jpg?_nc

Yes same viola ...

56 minutes ago, martin swan said:

Yes same viola ...

Oh, it is a pity we will not be able to see it again in the Royal Academy of Music. Jason Price mentions that in the very interesting article he wrote about Andrea Guarneri violas.

12 minutes ago, MANFIO said:

Oh, it is a pity we will not be able to see it again in the Royal Academy of Music.

Maybe better, maybe the new owner will visit your town some day and stop by.

6 minutes ago, deans said:

Maybe better, maybe the new owner will visit your town some day and stop by.

i hope so! I had the oportunity to listen to Zukerman's and Imai's Andrea Guarneri violas in recitals.

2 hours ago, henrypeacham said:

I have a Gillet bow as well. It is frighteningly fabulous.

Send it to Paul Childs for papers. He confessed to me that Gillet is not his favorite maker and when I asked who was, he answered, after a brief pause, “Persoit and Peccatte.”

He is a delightful person to talk to, and I wish I were in a position to drag him to lunch on a daily basis and pick his brain.

29 minutes ago, Dwight Brown said:

The Primrose went for about  four million.  This could do a lot as well.

DLB

Shucks, I did much better than that.  Lucked out and got a free viola as a sample from a supplier.  That way I could invest my millions in things which increase my standing in the community (imagines sashaying into a party and announcing, "Hey, gang, I just blew $4 million on a viola!", and shudders).  Anyway, there may be some deeper meaning in the knots. [Bolts for the exit on the saddle of a Thoroughbred stallion. (Yes, there's a pun in there, too).]  :ph34r:;):lol:

...in other words, you also have a priceless instrument...

53 minutes ago, Dwight Brown said:

The Primrose went for about  four million.  This could do a lot as well.

DLB

You might appreciate this:

671363873_tarisioguarnprimrosecompcopy.thumb.jpg.f992b875c89c14abaa89d0f7b08c12b3.jpg

This viola compared to a CT scan of the ribs of the Primrose

9 minutes ago, Rue said:

...in other words, you also have a priceless instrument...

Bingo!!  :lol:

The knots in the belly make me think of a trip I made years ago to Bubeneuth. Amongst others, I visited Andreas Gleisner’s woodyard. I know Herr Gleisner likes looking at old violins, and that way, you can get invited to lunch if you time it right. He has no idea about antique violins, but sometimes surprises with interesting insights. I showed him a lovely old Austrian Viola from 1743, which had a large original sap pocket in the back. His responce „come over here lad, I will give you a proper viola back“

54 minutes ago, Kevin Kelly said:

You might appreciate this:

671363873_tarisioguarnprimrosecompcopy.thumb.jpg.f992b875c89c14abaa89d0f7b08c12b3.jpg

This viola compared to a CT scan of the ribs of the Primrose

Same mold we guess.?

DLB

It sure looks like they could have come off the same mold, doesn't it?  I'm actually not sure where the viola lives - but that sounds right, and the friend with the scans is in Berlin

On 5/2/2019 at 5:32 AM, Julian Cossmann Cooke said:

Oh, for the good old days when one could at least download the Tarisio pictures for occasional home drooling.

Here are the photos: 1234567, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, and 13.

Edited by bausch

The viola went for 1,100,000.00 lower than I thought.  The Guad violin about the same.  Indiana University sold some fairly big deal stuff.  Did it go with them closing their violin making program?  I don't really have any idea.

DLB

Lower than I thought too. And nothing for lot 44, I guess that one was way too "speculative" but cool nonetheless.