Sign in to follow this  
H.R.Fisher

F-hole ?

How should the lower f hole on a strad be situated  in relation to the edge? Should it sit parallel with the edge or should it follow the arch?   Thanks in advance   Henry

Depends. I try to make the f-hole sit flat on the arch, roughly parallel to the rib structure. With very highly arched instruments, this may not be possible.

7 hours ago, H.R.Fisher said:

How should the lower f hole on a strad be situated  in relation to the edge? Should it sit parallel with the edge or should it follow the arch?   Thanks in advance   Henry

Every  Strad I know of has had the arching "corrected"  one or more times, along the lines of what some restorer thought it should be, so we don't really know.

What do you personally find appealing?

29 minutes ago, David Burgess said:

What do you personally find appealing

As a novice I never really paid much attention to it. I assumed there would be a correct way to position them in light of all  the other important nuances in violin making.     It's good to know there is some freedom here. 

I've wondered about this as well. 
I usually drill perpendicular to the surface rather than the plate edge.  

Are we talking about how the f hole, when viewed from the side, will either be mostly parallel with the edge, or tilt slightly backwards? 

Or are we talking about the inner edge of the f hole and whether or not it's perpendicular to the arching locally or perpendicular to the ribs?

I am much confusion. ):

30 minutes ago, Nick Allen said:

Are we talking about how the f hole, when viewed from the side, will either be mostly parallel with the edge, or tilt slightly backwards? 

I just walked around the shop and picked up 20 or so violins and looked at how the f-hole appears to lay/lie from the side. I don't think that the "mostly" in your statement is defensible. 

I find that the highly arched instruments tend to slope downward toward the scroll, and it is even worse with the "chicken-breasted" variety. 

The instruments that I picked up are all older. A second look shows most of the Chinese instruments to be quite flat and parallel to the edges/rib structure.

29 minutes ago, Nick Allen said:

I am much confusion. ):

My question is regarding the lower hole of the f when viewed from the side Should it run parallel with the edge in the north and south direction.

Lady Blunt Strad

5719125899_f170445aec_z.jpg

f-profile2 by Michael Darnton, on Flickr

Not really parallel to the edges, as you can see.  Just not popping up at the lower end as so many lesser violins do. If you work hard to make them parallel to the ribs, you ruin the arching through the bottom half of the holes. Notice how beautiful this f-hole is from the side: balanced, not closed up on the bottom as would happen without some careful wing lowering.

Notice that my photo is tilted just a bit to make them look flatter than they are!

Here's another example; notice that the bottom photo is, again, tilted a bit. The top is what you don't want to do; the bottom, better, but still a bit tight on the lower end, the wing flying upwards:

f-sculpting-PGVvsCAT.jpg

The way to achieve this is by slightly altering the elevations around the bottom of the f, looking from the side, and altering the arching slightly just around the holes on both sides, bottom half. Think of it as recarving from the side view by altering the levels. Most of the time the bottom wing will need to be lowered a bit to open up the bottom half to look the same as the top half. This lowers the tip of the wing a bit compared with the arching just below it, but this isn't a problem because it pre-avoids the common problem of the lower wing popping up when the string pressure on the middle of the arch, and a bit of time, are added. 

The Strad example at the top is really perfect. Of course. . .

2 hours ago, Michael Darnton said:

The Strad example at the top is really perfect. Of course. . .

Shame about the neck angle though.

Maybe that's why it's not been played since Vuillaume reset it?

I think Tom King wrote a good article (public) on f-hole position. Out of town now so don’t have access to my saved articles.