Sign in to follow this  
nathan slobodkin

G.A. Pfretschner

Any one know the story on G.A. Pfretschner violins? Henley lists him as a bowmaker .Brompton's quotes Henley . Lots of Auction results for bows and a few for violins. Stamped and labeled violin looks like medium grade Roth from 1920s or 30s. Was he making these? Buying and labeling? ???

G A Pfretzschner was not a maker.  This was the trade name of a wholesaler/distributor who handled various grades of instruments and bows.  Most violin are quite low grade, with roughly hewn interiors and crude integral bass bars.  I don't recall ever seeing one of Roth quality, but I wouldn't be surprised if they exist.  The most common labels that I've seen include wording something like "nach Antonius Stradivarius, 1715."  Some silver-mounted bows are pretty nice, but most are cheap student grade.

12 hours ago, jacobsaunders said:

Jacob,

How long did Gustav 's business last and do you know the relationship to the modern Pfretschner junk which is still being sold? The stamped violin I am asking about  looks made in the 20th century and of the 1920-1940 era.

The G. A. Pfretschner wholesaler firm went from 1834 until 1977. Pfretschner  (H. R.) kind of split into 2 firms after the division of Germany, one became part of a „Volkseigene Betrieb“ (VEB Musima) from 1985, another in Bad Endorf, Bavaria from the 1980’s. The fairly complicated Details can be read in the VDG book About the bow maker Family H. R. Pfretschner

https://holfter.com/main_bigware_34.php?items_id=260