Sign in to follow this  
PhilipKT

Bultitude at Freeman’s

What do you folks think about the Bultitude cello bow at Freemans? It looks really beautiful, but all of his bows look beautiful.

Asking for a friend…

I'm curious.  What's the story with Freemans Auction in Philadelphia?  Have they been big on musical instrument sales for long?  Is that vast collection in their May sale something associated with Fred Oster?  (Hard to imagine that many interesting items coming randomly from individual consignors in the absence of a major marketing effort.)  How good are their attributions?  Thanks.

Richard

I have played two Bultitudes and found each to be strong and perhaps a bit heavy but not at all in a bad way. I’d describe more as “solid” because there are fewer negative connotations to that word.

im also interested in learning about Freeman’s. It seems auction houses are branching out into musical instruments and I wonder where they get their experts.

7 hours ago, Richf said:

I'm curious.  What's the story with Freemans Auction in Philadelphia?  Have they been big on musical instrument sales for long?  Is that vast collection in their May sale something associated with Fred Oster?  (Hard to imagine that many interesting items coming randomly from individual consignors in the absence of a major marketing effort.)  How good are their attributions?  Thanks.

Richard

This Freeman’s sale is being run by Sawyer Thomson, though I believe Fred stayed around in some capacity to help with things. 

Bows made by Bultitude during his Hill period are really fine.

However, I've seen probably 50+ post Hill bows and yet to see something that is even close to todays top makers.

9 hours ago, Bishopstrings said:

Bows made by Bultitude during his Hill period are really fine.

However, I've seen probably 50+ post Hill bows and yet to see something that is even close to todays top makers.

Are you saying his earlier work is better than his later work? Or are you saying that overall you can find a better bow from a modern maker?

If I recall correctly, his bows were serial numbered, or at least the gold mounted ones were. I think he left hill in the mid 60s, but I think he died not soon after that. Do you recall when he left hill?

Bear in mind that when he was active (or most active), demand had long been for increasingly heavier, stiffer bows (playing a Sartori is like driving an old Cadilac, and Ouchard more so). That's what people wanted, so that's what he gave them.

FWIW

13 hours ago, PhilipKT said:

Are you saying his earlier work is better than his later work? Or are you saying that overall you can find a better bow from a modern maker?

If I recall correctly, his bows were serial numbered, or at least the gold mounted ones were. I think he left hill in the mid 60s, but I think he died not soon after that. Do you recall when he left hill?

yes, early work good..later work falls away somewhat!

11 hours ago, Bishopstrings said:

yes, early work good..later work falls away somewhat!

I agree in broad terms, but not all of the later bows are tank aerials 

and there are lemons in the stuff he made for Hill too ...