Sign in to follow this  
Robb

American Violin Information Needed

I have a violin with the label of Aaron and Robert Neiman Louisville KY 1931. The workmanship is good especially the scroll which makes me wonder if this was something they purchased. I would be interested in any information about these makers. I have checked all the standard references including Wenberg but no success. Thanks for your help.

20190419_195204.jpg

20190419_194944.jpg

20190419_195003.jpg

20190419_195224.jpg

20190420_185545.jpg

20190419_195305.jpg

20190420_190031.jpg

20190419_195136.jpg

20190420_185809.jpg

Yes. I have played it. I have multiple instruments I play on. I like to get them set them up and see what they sound like. This violin seems to have a mellow tone with an evenness across all strings. It is easy to play with an excellent response.

Nice violin and no amateur woodworkers involved in either body or scroll. George's suggestion seems possible but there is something of a personal style in the position and run up to the eye of the scroll and also the over broad corners with the purflng pointed so much toward the corner and leaving so much empty space  that make me wonder. I can't tell from the photos if the FFs are fluted without which a French origin is unlikely. It would be interesting to know if there were any cabinet shops or pattern makers with those names in the area at that time.

The  f holes are not fluted. In regards to the scroll being like a Juzek I have had master art Juzek models and the scrolls are more deeply dished out than the Neiman. Regarding the chinrest I think it was advertised as a Guarneri-Hill style model.