Sign in to follow this  
Bill Merkel

Mezzo, Contralto, or Countertenor?

I'm used to hearing it slower than that.  There's a funny thing in one of the recordings at 4:49 .  I think what happens is the oboe comes in right on the beat and the 1st violin playing a third below is expecting him to be a little behind the beat.  The violin looks over his shoulder at the oboe, who gives him a John Belushi eyebrow, while the second violin looks at the first and makes a stink face.  With all the cameras they had running, that stayed in somehow.  There are lots of videos of small ensembles where the audio is great, but the video overlooks something small.

This great arrangement and performance popped up in suggestions.  I might get around to figuring out what was oboe and what was violin.  Lots of really dramatic harmony resulting from counterpoint.  But I get tired of Baroque configured instruments and bows.  It seems like cheating in a way, like the expressive techniques are built in to the gear.   Would have loved to hear Marian Anderson, and Yehudi on a good day doing this.