Sign in to follow this  
finnfinnviolin

Very good, inexpensive burnisher for scrapers.

3 hours ago, edi malinaric said:

Hi All - why waste money?

I rather think of it as investing in the best tool to do the job.

3 hours ago, Anthony Panke said:

A long burnisher that you hold on both sides when the scraper is in the vice is good to control the angle and to avoid injury

That's the kind I got... ~$20 investment... like this one.  I use it a lot.

14 hours ago, Conor Russell said:

I thought  that  too. Turns out it's a  pushrod. 

I use a polished triangular  file. 

In Cambodia they turn pushrods from the zillion motorbikes into quite decent gouges for carving.  (Sorry, I know this is irrelevant).

Artisans Angkor

Tim

6 hours ago, edi malinaric said:

Having cut my left little finger to the bone while sharpening a scraper - please avoid using short stubby "wotsits"

cheers edi

That was my underlying concern using a wrist pin for a burnisher.

As far as technique for creating a bur, I only use the really hard pressure when the scraper is sat face down on the bench. The turning of the ends is done with very light pressure so there is little risk. 

I also put a concave bend in the steel with my thumb whilst I turn the edge, meaning that when it’s released the burr is under tension. If that makes sense? 

4 hours ago, scordatura said:

Even though this is an inexpensive burnisher thread, couldn't resist attaching some higher-end items.

20190501_192845.jpg

Nice scraper! Where did you get that? Nice and thick, would do an excellent job of preparing peg hole bushings for retouch. 

5 hours ago, scordatura said:

Even though this is an inexpensive burnisher thread, couldn't resist attaching some higher-end items.

20190501_192845.jpg

Hi Scordatura - please, can you tell me who makes/sells those burnishers. I saw a picture some years back - recognised the advantages of holding a constant angle while turning the edge and parked it my memory.

When I was surrounded by fellow students who all needed scrapers, I bought some blued spring steel and ran off sets of scrapers for the class.  I remembered that design and scratched around among my piles of "useful scrap" and knocked off a copy. Took me less than an hour. 

Aah - I've just remembered what wood I used for the handle. We ripped out the Myrtle hedge between the west neighbour and my house and replaced it with a fence made from concrete panels. (not aesthetically pleasing - but saved me having to spend a day clipping the hedge and also increased the depth of the flower bed by almost 75 cm.) The stems of the hedge were covered with a thick papery bark , were deeply creased and yielded some incredibly fine grained wood - so - a couple of lengths were put aside - in case.

If you do know the maker I'd like to add an attribution whenever I post that pic.

thanks edi

Edited by edi malinaric

9 hours ago, edi malinaric said:

The smaller the diameter the higher the contact stress - so lower pressure needed to turn the edge.

This is so true, if you use something with a  small radius it takes very little pressure to create a fine cutting edge. 

6 hours ago, Don Noon said:

That's the kind I got... ~$20 investment... like this one.  I use it a lot.

I actually have one of these, but never got on with it after using one of those fancy French Arno ones I realized that a smaller radius was a huge advantage. 

If you you really want to buy a fantastic burnisher, then this for me is the Rolls Royce.

https://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodworking-blogs/arno-burnisher-the-one-true-no-fail-burnisher/

5 hours ago, edi malinaric said:

Hi Scordatura - please, can you tell me who makes/sells those burnishers. I saw a picture some years back - recognised the advantages of holding a constant angle while turning the edge and parked it my memory.

When I was surrounded by fellow students who all needed scrapers, I bought some blued spring steel and ran off sets of scrapers for the class.  I remembered that design and scratched around among my piles of "useful scrap" and knocked off a copy. Took me less than an hour. 

Aah - I've just remembered what wood I used for the handle. We ripped out the Myrtle hedge between the west neighbour and my house and replaced it with a fence made from concrete panels. (not aesthetically pleasing - but saved me having to spend a day clipping the hedge and also increased the depth of the flower bed by almost 75 cm.) The stems of the hedge were covered with a thick papery bark , were deeply creased and yielded some incredibly fine grained wood - so - a couple of lengths were put aside - in case.

If you do know the maker I'd like to add an attribution whenever I post that pic.

thanks edi

The burnisher is made by Timberline Tool (Jim Willliams) http://scraperburnisher.com/about.html

Both the scraper and burnisher are available from Stewmac. https://www.stewmac.com/SiteSearch/?search=scraper

On April 25, 31 Heisei at 3:14 AM, finnfinnviolin said:

Hi everyone, Just wanted to show people these little carbide burnishers. I think they are made for sharpening garden tools.

At $6 its an absolute winner!

The corners are a little sharp when you first get it, but if you round them slightly with some 600grit wet and dry its fantastic burnisher!

easily as good as the fancy french ones.

$6- home depot.

41BVS0NSOXL._SX425_.jpg

For those who have Home Depot around the corner. For me it's return flight Tokyo LA + two way cab drive airport closest Home depot + $6. need to think about it. B)

3 hours ago, scordatura said:

The burnisher is made by Timberline Tool (Jim Willliams) http://scraperburnisher.com/about.html

Both the scraper and burnisher are available from Stewmac. https://www.stewmac.com/SiteSearch/?search=scraper

HI scordatura - many thanks -edi

18 minutes ago, Andreas Preuss said:

For those who have Home Depot around the corner. For me it's return flight Tokyo LA + two way cab drive airport closest Home depot + $6. need to think about it. B)

Hi Andreas - go visit your nearest  sheet-metal shop and beg a couple of used pins from a 4.5mm pop-rivet.

cheers edi