Sign in to follow this  
dyyoung

I hope to get help

Martin

I am still mildly sceptical and not entirely convinced as to the PO's bona fides

Why no details?

8 minutes ago, Herman West said:

Do teachers really say this?

Maybe not necessarily Italian violins, but expensive ones (including new American makers).

1 hour ago, Herman West said:

Do teachers really say this? I'd think they know better. Teachersadvice to really junior students tends to be: take more lessons, rather than buy really fancy fiddles.

In Korea and China yes, absolutely ...

There tends to be a great deal of deference towards teachers, who happen to get significant commissions on sales of instruments. Korea in particular is a fiercely competitive culture in which children are given every possible advantage and edge - often a valuable violin is presented as an essential component of success.

15 hours ago, martin swan said:

I'd like to think that Maestronet is a reasonably welcoming place.

If I was dyyoung, I would find this thread pretty distressing and downright incomprehensible. S/he has been treated with callousness and suspicion, and is now being sidelined by some bizarre spat over fake watches and fat people who have only themselves to blame and who shouldn't wear leggings.

I agree -- I'm in the US and a native English speaker, and I'm finding this thread pretty distressing and often incomprehensible. I can only imagine what garbled mess will from an auto-translated version. :(

So how about putting it like this: suppose that a violin student in China, for whatever reason, would like to buy an Italian violin. They can't use Google to easily research instruments.

• Are there any good "guides to violin buying" or similar you could link them?
  • What are some ways they can protect themselves from scams?
  • What are some telltale signs of a dishonest vendor?
  • How might they find an honest dealer online?
  • Are there online dealers who the community (you) will vouch for?

Seems like you're all fed up with people getting caught by scammers. I'm just saying, there are things you could do to make it less likely to happen.

And look, maybe I'm shooting myself in the foot here and nobody will ever talk to me again, but: it seems pretty rude to hijack an honest question's thread, especially that of a newcomer who doesn't speak English, into strange and inane arguments.

8 hours ago, Avey said:

• Are there any good "guides to violin buying" or similar you could link them?
  • What are some ways they can protect themselves from scams?
  • What are some telltale signs of a dishonest vendor?
  • How might they find an honest dealer online?
  • Are there online dealers who the community (you) will vouch for?

I can't really speak to much of this without appearing to feather my own nest, but all the same :

Guides to violin buying, like pretty much everything else on google, are of very little use, since they are written either by what Jacob would call "clueless bloggers" or by dealers who want you to espouse their model. 

The best way to protect oneself from scams is to go to someone who has a good reputation that they wish to protect. Unfortunately this tends to be at odds with the "bargain hunter" mindset. For this reason violin buyers who are determined to get a bargain are most likely to get ripped off.

A dishonest vendor doesn't have a straight answer to a straight question, is in a hurry to get paid, gets annoyed when the goods are overly scrutinised etc. There are many other telltale signs, ranging from puffery and self-aggrandisement to an unusual number of alleged medical conditions or family members with urgent medical conditions. One also tends to be wary of people selling out of the boot of a car, producing the certificate before the violin, or sporting a large fake Rolex (or a real one for that matter). 

For your last two points, I would just point out that the word "online" has really ceased to have meaning these days. There are of course dealers whom it's impossible to meet, and who do all their business remotely, maybe through Ebay or Facebook, and the very unavailability of such individuals is cause for concern. But equally there are many dealers without bricks & mortar shops who are honourable, and there are many bricks & mortar dealers who keep their entire inventory online, and who are happy to deal with customers remotely. Even 10 years ago this was inconceivable, now it's the norm.

Overall, I would deter anyone thinking of buying a violin from "doing their own research" ie. spending a month on Google. It's best to go with recommendations from other buyers who have had a good experience.

Final point - nothing is Italian unless it has a certificate from a widely respected expert in Italian violins.

On 4/26/2019 at 9:25 AM, Rue said:

I did refrain (so far) from commenting on questionable fashion choices - but no promises on how long I can keep those opinions bottled up...

what? come on man, it's triple time zones! :lol: , I couldn't fit Tokyo on today, my arm's running a little fat this week :rolleyes:

CIMG0070.JPG

1 hour ago, jezzupe said:

what? come on man, it's triple time zones! :lol: , I couldn't fit Tokyo on today, my arm's running a little fat this week :rolleyes:

CIMG0070.JPG

Thank you for illustrating "tasteless and depreciating" so adequately.  Why don't you go post that pic at the WatchUSeek forum, and solicit comments?  I've got plenty of popcorn on hand.  :lol:

You realize that if all those batteries blew at once, you might lose the arm?  :ph34r:

How's the hemp oil varnish coming?  :huh:

4 hours ago, Violadamore said:

Thank you for illustrating "tasteless and depreciating" so adequately.  Why don't you go post that pic at the WatchUSeek forum, and solicit comments?  I've got plenty of popcorn on hand.  :lol:

You realize that if all those batteries blew at once, you might lose the arm?  :ph34r:

How's the hemp oil varnish coming?  :huh:

hey, it's the least I could do, really it was just for you cause I knew you'd love the green Zeus :lol:....the varnish is well, there's always something cooking around here,  and I like to live dangerously with a side order of genuine chintzy schmaltz

I am pleased to report that Canada will be taking our garbage back! :)

I believe our war with the Phillipines has been averted!