Sign in to follow this  
dyyoung

I hope to get help

The certificate is fake.

The violin is not a Dalla Costa.

Do you mind telling us who is selling this and for how much? It would be helpful to warn other members about this "violin businessman" ....

This is an instrument that was "created" specifically to rip someone off. It has "everything" in place in order to snare and unsuspecting person who may be chomping at the bit.

This is not like the world of "replica" fine watches where many foreign {mostly Chinese} manufacturers are making "replica" watches, but they are at least representing them as replicas, whereas this person is trying to convince you that the fake watch is real. There are many suspect things about this.

'Anyone who looks at these a lot would know it's a copy. Let alone someone who does that for a living. Please do share the name of the seller. He shall be engulfed in flaming...on facebook. That's about all anyone can do. Romania or Albania or wherever this seller is, has no BBB, do they...so you expect this to happen more often than not and as bad as it sounds, you might want to not buy something that's a major purchase or a valuable antique from online sellers or from certain countries of origin. 

If this is going on somewhere in the US of A, this'll be fun...at least there's a way to report him.

Could well be this "violin businessman" is a crook, but still, I get nervous when the pitchforks come out this early in the game...

2 minutes ago, Rue said:

Could well be this "violin businessman" is a crook, but still, I get nervous when the pitchforks come out this early in the game...

Particularly if the "violin businessman" was conned himself, and sincerely believes the violin and certificate to be authentic.

Sorry Rue, I've seen a lot of this kind of thing ...

Maybe I'm pre-judging on the basis of the furniture in the background, which I have also seen a lot of while looking for violins! To me this is typical of the stuff you get shown in the loucher areas of Budapest or Prague (the violin and the dodgy cert I mean).

It's incontrovertible that the certificate is fake and has nothing to do with Paul Voigt. I have a nice original Paul Voigt certificate somewhere, but even without a direct comparison I can tell you that he wrote perfectly in English - "the violin are in a great condition state" is hilarious.

When it comes to the violin itself I see no attempt to copy a dalla Costa. The c-bouts are very strange where dalla Costa built on a pretty conservative model, the f-hole tongues nothing like, the varnish neither. We had a good dalla Costa a year or so ago, and I had plenty of opportunity to study the violin - I'll attach some photos. You'll see the scroll is very well executed

The violin in the "certificate" is the same as the violin in the photos.

sr45dallacosta-violin-front.thumb.jpg.d51fb0d3fd435d53e9a228b6bf4e5830.jpg

sr45dallacosta-violin-back.thumb.jpg.49671bfb54a68fe8e9baac18dfb8f2ee.jpg

sr45dallacosta-violin-scroll.thumb.jpg.86d8d26df5874e694072d34ec07cbabb.jpg

1 hour ago, not telling said:

Certificate written on April 22th

April 22 1989 - what does that prove? Given that it's fake anyway ...

As if Paul Voigt would describe a violin as by "Pietro Antonio Dalla Cofta"  :lol:

Proves nothing about the violin, just the eleventy ninest clue. The quality of the photos is a tell too.

I like the bit about "nice wood". Not that I want fakers to improve at their craft either, but that's quite far from the descriptive language on the few real certificates I have seen. F holes are clunky and bulbous, which are comical when compared to the real version. Thanks for posting it.

The scroll is full of ugly flat spots on the fake one, compared with your real example, but it's very good compared to "the usual"... what is it?  It doesn't look like a brand new violin someone shunted into this scheme.

4 hours ago, martin swan said:

April 22 1989 - what does that prove? Given that it's fake anyway ...

To your point about poor English, I think she was pointing out "April 22th" instead of the correct "April 22d."

1 hour ago, Thomas Coleman said:

You must be talkin

op's name is die- young :P you missed the insult/suggestion

Thank you very much for  professional reply!. Now I'm worrying about how to recover the money I paid for the violin. After that, I will give a good account of what happened.

Recover your money...? Oh...well, you won't. Someone in Romania just bought a five bedroom house on 60 acres with your $9000, closed on it this afternoon. Paid cash. I'm just guessing at what you paid, a not catastrophic but really insulting amount of money, I'm assumung, since it's a definite fake. But it is a violin, and it's pretty, sort of, if you squint or view it on a cell phone.

You can't hold out on everyone with the story. So what happened? Do you plan on naming the "violin professional" you bought it from? You don't sound too upset.

52 minutes ago, not telling said:

收回你的钱......?哦......好吧,你不会。罗马尼亚的某个人刚买了一套价值9000美元的60英亩的五居室房子,今天下午关闭了。支付现金。我只是猜测你支付了什么,这不是灾难性的,但实际上是侮辱性的金钱,我很自信,因为它是一个明确的假货。但它是一把小提琴,如果你在手机上眯着眼睛看它,那就太漂亮了。

你不能坚持每个人的故事。所以发生了什么事?你打算命名你买的“小提琴专业人士”吗?你听起来不太难过。

Hello,iam a violin student from China. Please forgive me that I can only use Google translation to read your replies, so I may not understand some of your suggestions or comments. That's what happened. This violin dealer is a chance to get acquainted with him through social chat software. I don't even know his real name, but why do I try to trade with him? Because I learned from Wechat(china Social software)that a part of China's luthier and bow maker had a lot of trading history with him. he asked me to pay for the purchase of the violin before he brought it back to China from Vienna and delivered it to me. Purchasing this violin is a heavy burden for me, so I would want to let experts provide their opinions through this forum. That's what happened. In the end, I was very sad.

Now I just want to refund the cost of purchasing the violin. Then learn the knowledge of violin appraisal in the forum, hoping that i will not be deceived. Once again, thanks to the experts who have advised me.

1 hour ago, The Violin Beautiful said:

Violin makers, repairers, and dealers since 1699? 

The Voigt family does go back that far, yes.

6 hours ago, GeorgeH said:

To your point about poor English, I think she was pointing out "April 22th" instead of the correct "April 22d."

ah missed that!

6 hours ago, dyyoung said:

Thank you very much for  professional reply!. Now I'm worrying about how to recover the money I paid for the violin. After that, I will give a good account of what happened.

Very sorry to hear of your misfortune. I hope you manage to get the sale cancelled.

5 hours ago, not telling said:

Recover your money...? Oh...well, you won't. Someone in Romania just bought a five bedroom house on 60 acres with your $9000, closed on it this afternoon.

Where do you get Romania from?