Maestronet Forums

Eyelet for Voirin cello bow screw available anywhere?

Andreas Preuss

2 hours ago, fiddlecollector said:

Well it looks like a cut thread , ive found the diameters and pitches of these old screws are all over the place. Ive had to make a tap specially on occasion just to tap an eyelet to fit them. Have you tried Paulus?

Waiting for an answer from Paulus. 

I wished I could make it myself but I don't have a lathe on my shop.

Taps for one off sort of thing ,on something the size of an eyelet out of brass/bronze   are easy to make  with simple o1 steel. I do use a lathe though where i can do most threads both imperial and metric.  Its simple work for a machinist even an amateur one as long as you can cut threads on your machine.

Just now, fiddlecollector said:

Taps for one off sort of thing ,on something the size of an eyelet out of brass/bronze   are easy to make  with simple o1 steel. I do use a lathe though where i can do most threads both imperial and metric.  Its simple work for a machinist even an amateur one as long as you can cut threads on your machine.

Interesting.  Can you make funny threads or do you have to own the particular change gears for a particular thread?

Yes, i have a thread cutting gearbox that cuts most imperial threads  just by engaging a couple of levers . I have made delrin gears specifically just for cutting a odd thread in metric . My lathe lathe is imperial but can cut metric with the right change wheels.Its a American made South Bend lathe .

10 minutes ago, Andreas Preuss said:

Because I Don't know much about bows, I hve no idea if the screw is original or not. In any case preserving things as they are seems to me the best ethic.

Good call, also it can be a bit of a bitch to make a screw if you have not done it.  I can send you a list of taps that fit most screws if that would help.  What is the diameter of the screw?  Measure shaft and thread.

29 minutes ago, Andreas Preuss said:

Because I Don't know much about bows, I hve no idea if the screw is original or not. In any case preserving things as they are seems to me the best ethic.

I have a Voirin cello bow original in all parts - I'll have a look at the adjuster tomorrow ...

There's an image of a cello bow screw in L'Archet which looks comparable.

Voirin bows probably predate any engineering standards for screw diameters and thread pitches.   The bow owner needs to measure the screw diameter and the pitch as a starting point.  There may be more to it though; such as, depth of the thread and shape of the thread.  

At first "cracker out of the box", you are trying to find an "off the shelf" tap that will work.  It might not be a perfect fit, though, but good enough.

Mike D

6 hours ago, Jerry Pasewicz said:

Good call, also it can be a bit of a bitch to make a screw if you have not done it.  I can send you a list of taps that fit most screws if that would help.  What is the diameter of the screw?  Measure shaft and thread.

Thank you for your help, Jerry. I returned the bow to my customer with a temporary new screw and eyelet. He took the original screw with him so unfortunately I can't take measurements now.

6 hours ago, martin swan said:

I have a Voirin cello bow original in all parts - I'll have a look at the adjuster tomorrow ...

There's an image of a cello bow screw in L'Archet which looks comparable.

Thanks, Martin. 

My l'archet books are now in storage. Just judging from the unusual pitch and how worn out the eyelet was I thought it should be an original screw.